Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there self-installed air vent sleeves onto their A1? I received a set of high gloss white air vent sleeves as a Christmas present. The instructions are in the box, but I would like to know if anyone has any additional tips. :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
just a quick one mate make sure its warm befor you start pulling at the dash plastics, id be tempted to have the heaters on for a little while first the make them more plyable

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gaz201: Yeah, no problem. I have access to a heated professional type garage. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
go get them done then mate and get some pictures up, by chance do you know how much they were and are they from a dealer or someone else

·
Registered
512 Posts
Can you create a nice "how to guide"?

I was going to PM Jae to see if he has any plans to create a how to section on the site :)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gaz201: They were purchased from the Audi dealer. They cost 80+ pounds. My current vent colour is black (of course), with the exterior A1 colour Amalfi White.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if any other company makes the air vent sleeves. I was amazed how thin the upgrade sleeves are. The new white sleeves are made the slip (double-sided tape) over the current one. There is no need to totally disassemble the vent. The box includes 5 sleeves; one looks like it is for a practice installation attempt. :eek:

·
Registered
220 Posts
shakeystevo said:
Can you create a nice "how to guide"?

I was going to PM Jae to see if he has any plans to create a how to section on the site :)
Yea it would be great to get a sub section for that!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all, @bigdeuce451 so you bought your from the audi main dealer for £80? and you can install them yourself?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally installed the amalfi coloured air vent sleeves this afternoon. It took about 1 hour (Approximately). The instructions that came with the box are somewhat vague, so I had to figure out the process on my own. Makes me wonder if this is done on purpose so you possibly bugger up the installation and have Audi fix it for you (Audi would be very happy) :cry: . Also, if you mess up one of the centre sleeves, you can use the 5th practice sleeve because it is a centre sleeve of the same exact quality. But if you mess up either the right or left sleeve, than you will have to buy a complete vent sleeve kit just to replace either the right or left vent sleeve (extra expense.....Audi says "I'm Winning" in a Charlie Sheen stylee). :lol:

The pull tabs located one the 5th practice piece must be reused to install all the vent sleeves; this is not stated on the instructions. I never used the 5th practice vent sleeve. But I did use the pull long pull tabs.....so I removed the long pull tabs from the practice vent sleeve and switched them onto the one I was going to install. There are no extra long pull tabs, so make them last through the last vent sleeve installation. The thing that took the longest was switching the long pull tabs over to each new vent sleeve.

On the instructions it details not to put pressure on sticky tape areas prior to pulling the tabs out slowly, as there might be some glue bits exposed. This would cause the long tabs to tear off; this would not be good as you have to reuse them again for each vent sleeve installation. And good luck trying to get them off from behind the newly installed vent sleeve.

My wife and I are very pleased :D on the look of the new vent sleeves. She said it makes a big difference keeping things colour coordinated. The new sleeves look really nice in conjunction with my (aluminium) white tax disc holder. I'm glad I waited for a nice warm-ish day to install them. Even though I have access to a professional-type garage, I chose to install them in my driveway.

Now, I'm going to rotate the tyres on my A1, then possibly wash the A1 too. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.