Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my A1 is only 6 months old but I'm wondering if I need an air con refresh? I have only just started to use it but noticed a "damp dishcloth" smell after its been running. Anyone had a similar experience? Is this normal on such a new car?
Thanks
Sonja

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Hi Sonja,
I don't think anything needs to be refreshed as your car is only 6 months old... I think it is a case of not using the Air Con that may cause the smell.

Try leaving the Air Con on low for a few days... It may help.

Sorry i cant be of more help, i too haven't used my Air Con yet! :oops:

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Yes, i know... It is going to be very difficult. :lol:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Its not a good idea to leave the air con off for long periods. It has a dehumidifing function as well as cooling and should really be left on all the time. That doesn't mean you have to have it on cold all the time.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Ive heard it builds up a fungus...

Too remedy you should leave on cold full blast for a while till its freezing...then turn on heat top whack. Apparently it kills the germs.

But my old science teacher maybe lying

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
I think there is a pollen filter that can be changed or cleaned. Maybe that could be the cause?

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
6 months shouldnt need a pollen filter change but they are £15 from VW so u can if you want

You can however get a air con disinfectant spray from the pound shop (other places do it for £10+) it's an aerosol can you leave in the car for 30mins to clean out the system

Audi do this all as part of the 2nd service anyway (I had this offered on my seat ibiza for £75 so I'll leave you to do the maths of replacing the filter and cleaning it)

Ideally the air con should be on for 10mins or so every month...

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Good tip on the pound shop spray!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would always run the air con at least once a week as it stops the seals drying out and losing gas from the compressor.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had that issue when I got my previous ibiza (as it was black the air con was always on cuz the damn car was always hot :lol: ). So I proceeded doing the following:

-Firstly I swaped the air filter for the inner of the vehicle (dont know the proper name in english but I think u get the picture) for a brand new one;
-Took out one of those perfums you put on the vents to give the car a nice smell and throw it in the thrash;
-Opened all the doors and boot;
-turned on the engine, turned on the AC and first I selected "HOT" in the climatronic (something like 27º degrees) and told the climatronic to send the air from all the places (torso, feet, head and windscreen). After 5 minutes I changed the temperature to the minimum (17º) and left it running at maximum vent speed for another 5 minutes;
-After this 10 minute cleaning method all the smells were gone and it stayed that way until I sold the car.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts