Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 A1 that comes with the factory rear LED lights. This means that only the rear indicator and reverse bulbs are normal bulbs, the rest is a inaccessable LED cluster.

I'm trying to remove the right cluster in order to replace some of the wiring (with OEM part) becase it is corroeded and is causing a light failure warning on the dash even though the rear reversing light it warns about still works ok.

I can't seem to remove the wire from the back of the cluster to remove the unit so I can do this. I'm woried I will break the plastic if I use any more force, there must be some method I'm not aware of. I've found similar questions or how to's about this topic both here on this forum, and in online videos, but ever single one of them either looks or is described differently, to the point I suspect they were all models that have the standard halogen bulb rear cluster, which looks totally different to mine.

Brown Luggage and bags Bag Electrical wiring Gas

I can pull back on the 'D' shaped pieces of plastic either side about 35 Deg (upward relative in the above image.), but any more and they feel like they will break. Inside those two Ds are two smaller pieces of plastic, you can see one of them in the image above and I can squeeze those inward, and I hear a 'click' noise, and the first time I did this, the plug moved a litttle bit and I thought I might have done it, but it won't move any more.

Motor vehicle Wood Sports equipment Automotive lighting Vehicle door

It kind of feels like I need 3 hands, one to hold the cluster, one to squeeze the smaller pieces and another to pull the wire.

Does anyone have any advice. Am I supposed to do this with some kind of Audi tool that will make it easy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone who needs to know, I figured it out. You have to push the 'D' parts down while squeezing the smaller inside bits are the same time and the connection comes loose easily.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts