Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here, I've seen a similar topic as this but this is a little different.
My Daughter has not long had an A1 and the back passenger side lights had all gone out.
I had a look and water had corroded the pin to the big brown lead.
Replacement bulb cluster and connector block seem pricey at first look so I couldn't see what was wrong with connecting the 'top rail' on the cluster to the big brown using a jumper lead.
I silver soldered my new jumper lead to the top rail, fed it out via the big hole next to it and fixed it to big brown using a red scotch lock.
All seem to work but now the driver's side seems to be a lot dimmer than my 'fixed' side.
Can anyone help please?
Many thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
is this page abandoned or are all previous users in jail for failing to repair ongoing back light faults? :|
does anyone know the best way to get in touch with audi?

·
Super Moderator
2014 A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Contrast Line +
83 Posts
I have to say, having recently joined, that the forum does seem a little, how shall I say..... deserted?
Is the rear lamp the type with 3 conventional bulbs? Have you changed all of them because they do lose brightness with age. If I have a bulb blow, I typically change both sides then keep the good one that I changed as a spare.
If all bulbs are the same make and age, then maybe there is resistance in the dimmer one that needs cleaning up. If all is OK, the bulbs on both sides should look equal in intensity when illuminated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not have a ouji board and not hearing off anyone for a while I decided to purchase the items in attached picture, reasoning that the pink block in the plug leads might contain some level of balanced resistance that might cause the out of balance illumination. I haven't fitted it yet but I'm hopeful as the variety of faults that have been experienced is totally weird and totally unexpected. I'll report back when fitted just incase anyone else with similar problems ever ambles by :|
Many thanks Ivor for taking time to respond, muchly appreciated

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2014 A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Contrast Line +
83 Posts
I hope that the electrical issues are not down to water previously getting into the car....... do you know if it has the original tailgate and rear light clusters, or may they have been changed due to previous damage? I think it highly unlikely that there will be electronic components in the lamp cluster connectors themselves

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ivor, thanks for such a speedy response, again. Yes it was/is due to water ingress I'm sorry to say, methinks there should've been a recall on these. The uppermost connection was completely corroded, hence new bits. I have a hunch that pink block hides something enigmatic:) I'm hoping to do it tomorrow, I'll report back soon

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Managed to fix the near side rear light cluster with new parts but that merely exacerbated the demise of the offside light cluster. We managed to get the right working, temporarily as the main issue was the heavy 12 volt feed, but needed to buy another set of replacement parts as water damage was more extensive than just the 12 volt rail. Pics of water destroyed fittings attached. If anyone from Audi ever sees this you should be embarrassed with this situation. It should have justified a full recall. You have a serious design fault allowing water to ingress and collect in the tail gate which is exacerbated by poor (cheap) connection design imho.
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Rectangle Font Wood Urban design Electronic device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts