Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

1.4 TFSI Manual picked up on Sat 20th Nov.

Dealer had supplied car with half a tank of regular Unleaded. I have just filled it with Super Unleaded (BP Ultimate) and intend to keep using this. Used it in my A3(FSI Engine) with no issues.

Just wondered what everybody else is actually using? Or intends to use?

Anybody had experience of fuelling this engine in a Polo/Golf for example?

:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
The higher the Octane the better for the car and better performance too, I only put Hi Oc in the Spyder, as the A1 id Diesel it is whatever is available unless there is a cleaner diesel on offer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I tried BP Ultimate in my A3 1.8 TFSI and it never made any difference, Tescos Super unleaded did work however but I do not think they justify the extra cost and will be using ordinary unleaded in my 1.4 Sport

·
Registered
166 Posts
From my experience you have to push your engine hard to notice any improvement on performance by using higher octane fuels. If driving normally I don't think it pays off.

What I hear, and I believe it, is that supermarket brands leave some debris behind... and that in the long run that may harm the engine. I for once use the regular diesel, just not a supermarket brand.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thought I'd have a quick google... this one's an interesting read: http://www.petrolprices.com/about-fuel.html

I noticed a sticker on the Tesco pump the other day that said something about their "super" fuel giving better mpg. Didn't take much notice of it at the time but Robbie's comments above provoked me to check for more info.
http://www.tesco.com/Momentum99/productBenefits.asp

Have been using it in my Clio 182, purely as I was told by the dealer the car needs 98+ and there's a little sticker to remind me of that fact every time I fill up. Can't personally offer a comparison as it's only had regular unleaded once due to not being able to find a local garage with super unleaded in stock when those strikes were taking place.

Having to use the expensive stuff was one motivation for getting a new car, but if the claims about Momentum are true my switch to 95ron for the A1 might, like the purchase of a new car if I'm honest with myself, be a false economy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the "before tax" price of fuel is circa 25p per litre, then the additional 6p or so for higher octane seems excessive, no matter the possible performance improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts