Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a very bad experience today was out in my a1 and its been snowing,so i was driving very slowly cause i wasnt to impressed the last time i drove it in the snow ,it started sliding all over the place i managed to get control of it again then was heading home and went round the schemes well there it went again,am really not happy ave been driving for over 20yrs and this is the worst car ave driven in the snow,was wondering if anybody feels the same way and if so did you change to snow tyres and did they make a difference!!! :(

ave got a s-line 1.6 tdi and its got low profile tyres was wondering if tht is the problem??

·
Registered
179 Posts
The low profile wheels and tyres on the A1 are not meant for driving in snow, this is why some of us have gone for winter tyres.

Summer tyres which come on the A1 are likely to be terrible in winter.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Drive properly and its no problem in snow at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the low profile tyres on my Fiesta and they were terrible, used to slide every where so ended up keeping it off the road in the snow, but my SE A1 is great and has a good grip in the snow.

·
Registered
442 Posts
look at other threads ref this subject , John H gave some good write up's and he has helped me too

knowing yourself is from scotland also , id invest in a set winter tyres

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a Norwegian I must say that I feel it's incredible that you even would consider driving without winter tires on the snow.
I've tried the A1 with non-studded tires, and it handles perfectly, and the ESP kicks in whenever it doesn't.

I'm getting mine delivered with studded tires. Not a worry in the world :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
daytonasliner said:
look at other threads ref this subject , John H gave some good write up's and he has helped me too

knowing yourself is from scotland also , id invest in a set winter tyres
yeah think i'll need to its going to be alot safer,ive just checked out the other thread tht u mentioned thanks for tht,if you dont mind me asking what sort if money am i looking to pay for winter tyres

·
Registered
179 Posts
Price all depends on how far you want to go with quality, you could probably get a set of wheels with tyres for around £400.

In some European countries it's actually law to have Winter tyres fitted.

A good place to look is www.mytyres.co.uk they do the option of steel wheels with winter tyres.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Would never go without winter tyres, even when I lived in the UK!

Expect to pay £800 for alloys with rubber (Audi) and £500 ish for steel.

Worth every penny!

Jae

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I put a set of winter tyres on my Audi A2 last year and was amazed at the difference they made. I became a total convert to winter tyres, so unsurprisingly the first thing I bought for our new A1 was a cheap set of alloys off ebay and a set of winter tyres (185/60 x 16 Semperit Speed Grips). It has transformed the car into a wee polar bear! My wife was out in it today in 5" of fresh snow, and had no problems at all. I also have a Porsche and a Mazda MX5 on summer tyres, neither of which will be leaving the garage till springtime ... that's how much I value my winter tyres.

Get on ebay, look for a set of alloys (Old A3, old TT, Golf Mk 4, ideally 15" wheels with 100 x 5 PCD) and then order up a set of winter tyres from one of the internet tyre places. Prices have gone up a lot recently, but still well worth doing.

Don't forget, it also has the huge extra benefit of saving your shiny new alloys from getting wrecked in the salt!

;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am quite perplexed to read about people driving on snow and ice without winter tires.

The difference is day and night. The compound of the rubber, the depth, etc.

I change to winter tires as soon as the temperature drops to 5C or so in the autumn, no matter if the road is dry and it is sunny.

The reverse applies as well. Stud-less winter tires in spring/summer are rubbish. Too soft, wobbly car, lousy on wet, etc.

Buy them winter tires! :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John H said:
I put a set of winter tyres on my Audi A2 last year and was amazed at the difference they made. I became a total convert to winter tyres, so unsurprisingly the first thing I bought for our new A1 was a cheap set of alloys off ebay and a set of winter tyres (185/60 x 16 Semperit Speed Grips). It has transformed the car into a wee polar bear! My wife was out in it today in 5" of fresh snow, and had no problems at all. I also have a Porsche and a Mazda MX5 on summer tyres, neither of which will be leaving the garage till springtime ... that's how much I value my winter tyres.

Get on ebay, look for a set of alloys (Old A3, old TT, Golf Mk 4, ideally 15" wheels with 100 x 5 PCD) and then order up a set of winter tyres from one of the internet tyre places. Prices have gone up a lot recently, but still well worth doing.

Don't forget, it also has the huge extra benefit of saving your shiny new alloys from getting wrecked in the salt!

;)
hi john,would a set of alloys from a A3 o4plate 15" fit the A1????

·
Registered
107 Posts
kaz6971 said:
hi john,would a set of alloys from a A3 o4plate 15" fit the A1????
If it's a series 1 A3 (old shape) then yes. If it's a series 2 A3 (current shape) then no. The bolt pattern (PCD) is different.

Can't recall when the change was relative to the number plate date. :?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had my A1 TDI S-LIne since November and it was sliding all over the place also, I part exchanged a Golf 4 Motion (4WD) for the A1 and the weekend after I got it down came the snow

I live on the top of a hill, and the road that is never gritted, I have purchased a set of Autosocks http://www.autosock.co.uk/ but not had to use them yet, a couple of people have them, one with a Passat CC and the a BMW 330D and they look to made a difference.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
The socks are only suitable for speeds UP TO 30mph and basically shred on tarmac (over time). Great to get you out of a problem, but not to run for the winter season.

Winter Tyres all the way...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Jae

I agree the socks are just to help get round on the side road that are not gritted, the main raods are normaly ok to drive on in the UK in the winter season.

I think that studded tyres would be bet, but I dont think these are legal in the UK, would winter tyres work on the s-line as the tyre is wide, we also have a Polo Blue Motion that always got up the hill in the snow, ween when everone else is stuck.

The main problem in the UK is people dont know how to drive in the snow

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
We have a separate set of alloys on the A1Fs car (as does John). The sizes have been discussed in another thread, but as I recall they are 16" 6J 195/50 in profile.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts