Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please note that I am starting with an account of the goings ons at the Official A1 Launch. If it's too much waffle for you and you want to skip to the review, I have given it a separate headline to enable you to find it easily!

REVIEW OF OFFICIAL LAUNCH

I was part of history this weekend! Starting on Friday when myself and my salesman hubby arrived in London at the Pestana Chelsea Bridge Hotel over looking Battersea Power Station, where Audi UK were putting up the lucky few who were allowed to go and pick the dealership cars up.

After an evening of pampering, it was finally saturday morning and time for the launch to begin... we were transferred by coach to the power station and were presented with the amazing sight of 250 A1's and line of around 30 A8's (used to ferry the celebs around)

Typical Audi hosting followed, fab food, drinks on tap, obv not alcohol as a) it was 10am and b) we had to drive the cars away! There were some stars present Matt Dawson, Colin Salmon, Lemar, Dominic Cooper, Naomi Harris, Gemma Arterton (if, like me, you didn't know them by name, google them!)and 2 members of The Feeling, to name all of them!! It was also hosted by Gethin Jones and held in a big "tent" inside Battersea Power Station (how cool?!).

At 11:30 it was time to meet our cars and we were called in our colour groups and transferred to our cars. We had a white 1.6tdi sport with a daytona grey contrast line, upgraded titanium v spoke wheels and xenons and IT LOOKED THE BUSINESS!!! A 4.5 mile route around London followed and then we were off home. I have no idea of knowing whether the desired impact was made but, as we were driving around the centre of London, we saw countless A1 billboards and then, for the next 2 hours as we drove around and then subsequently tried to find our way out of London whilst attempting to miss football and rugby traffic, we kept spotting A1's wherever we went and so I think some sort of impact was made!

Now for the science bit...

REVIEW OF A1 1.6 TDI Sport with upgraded Titanium V Spoke Alloys, Xenons, Bose and Nav

I am by no means a qualified reviewer, this is just an honest and open verdict of how I found the above A1, as driven by me from Poole to Devon and then another 20 miles or so today, so I could try it out on the motorway. I have, however, driven a few Audi's in my time, having both worked at an Audi dealership and having a hubby who currently sells them. Please keep in mind that this is a list of the points that I personally think are important.

LOOKS = 10/10 (it got some stares from both pedestrians and other drivers)

ACCELERATION FROM STANDSTILL = 9/10 (I beat an S3 away from the lights today!)

ACCELERATION WHEN IN 5TH = 8/10

BUILD QUALITY = 10/10 (both inside and out, the finish and quality is superb)

HARDNESS OF SUSPENSION (10 being hardest)= 8/10 together with the upgraded alloys, the sport suspension is pretty hard. Not uncomfortably so, just noticeably so. A pro to that is that, on the bumpy country lane, you are not chasing having to compensate with the steering wheel to keep the car on the road, it remained dead straight

COMFORT OF DRIVING POSITION = 8.5/10 loses 1.5 points for the dreaded non adjustable seatbelt not being as comfortable as I'd like in my preferred driving position.

EASE OF USE AND EFFECTIVENESS GADGETS = 9/10 My phone worked perfectly - blackberry curve - and the multifunction steering wheel is easily navigated around and with, just takes about 5mins of going through it all to work it out. The sat nav is fab and the Bose is to die for, crystal clear sound and car shaking base!

FUEL CONSUMPTION = 9/10 we averaged 52mpg after our whole trip yesterday, including town, motorway and country lane driving)

HANDLING = 9/10 corners like a dream, even in the wet!

SIZE OF BOOT = 5/10 wide, but very shallow, which may be due to the bose? To put in perspective, we had 2 overnight bags with us on the way home and the boot was about 70% full and our 2 spaniel dogs don't fit in it! Hopefully it's cos of the bose, as I haven't ordered bose and really need to fit the dogs in!!

TO SUM UP

The A1 is an amazing car, drives as well as an A4 and puts most other cars to shame with it's funky and chunky gorgeousness (even my hubby's A4 demo looks bit ropey in comparison!). My personal feeling is that the ride is quite hard but I know that this was exacerbated by the upgraded alloys and I also think that the only reason I even noticed that the seatbelt was a bit uncomfortable, was because it has been talked about on this forum! Otherwise I can't wait till this time next week when my A1 will be sitting on my driveway in this ones place!

I hope you have found this interesting and not too waffly (at least not too waffly if you skipped the 1st bit!) and I will post pics of the launch tomorrow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great review, many thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Morning!

I am just uploading the pics now but, as there is a limit of 3 per message, it will take a few to get them all on...

Starting off:

View of the power station from the hotel, with all the cars lined up and waiting...

Gethin Jones, host extraordinaire!

Colin Salmon, proving even BIG stars can fit in the A1!!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take 4 and we're off around London!

The very well placed advertising billboards, we saw around 15 in a 4.5 mile radius, I think the message is out there!

Perhaps we should've stopped off for the Royal stamp of approval?!

Caught in the best traffic jam to be in..... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And last, but certainly not least.... my review subject, Lou Lou!! Very sad to wave goodbye to her but only 5 sleeps till Archie comes home!!!! :D

Hope you enjoyed the pics I picked to represent the great day we had on Saturday and they help to get you through the next few days if you're lucky enough to be getting your baby on Saturday!

Bok

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great pics!

You picked them wisely and the car is beautiful!
I love the V-spoke rims on your Lou Lou... I can't wait to have mine! :D

Thank you!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great review,thanks for sharing it :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Here here , thanks for the pics and info A BIG THANK YOU

If you get the bug for uploading pics , some shots of the inside of the car would be welcome :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great pics and nice review. Ive been to my dealer this morning and had the pleasure of seeing their car and took it out for a spin for a while. It's a great car they have 1.6 diesel sport in amalfi White with grey contrast line. I was pleased they had white as ive ordered a White tfsi sline. I must say the White looks good very much back to the 80's /90's audi quattro colour. It drove great. Build quality up to audi's usual high standard. I felt as if I was still in my A3 tsport for drive position and cabin feel. Its a little car with a great heart. Cant wait to get mine now as I can sense my 1.4 tfsi stronic will really be fun to play with. This car has great potential. It's not in your face but you deffinately know your in an audi.
Build week 4 for me so looks like I'll be getting it when I want on march 1st

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great pics,did anybody spot a S-line at the launch,or are they all at shearness with mine!! due next week i am told :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts