Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so sorry if it's in the wrong section.
Can anyone tell me the volume of oil needed by a 2014 black edition 1.4l TFSI A1 please?
I can't find the volume anywhere on the web.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When I'd changed the filter and oil I had about 1/2 litre of oil left in the 5 litre can.
I couldn't believe how black the new oil went after a couple of minutes running or how hard it was to get a clear reading on the dipstick so it may have been overfilled by a very little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isn't really a reply to previous posts but is related.
Somehow I didn't fit the drain pug properly and there's been a very small leak ever since.
I read that fitting a vacuum cleaner hose to the oil filler stops the oil draining when the cleaner's on, so this would let me replace the plug and washer for new ones without losing oil.
I also read that doing this may damage the main engine oil seal.of VAG cars.
Has anyone tried this technique or have any comments on any drawbacks it may result in, please?

·
Super Moderator
2014 A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Contrast Line +
74 Posts
er..... why fit a vacuum cleaner hose to the oil filler, why not just leave the filler cap in place? This will give an airtight seal whereas if you held or even taped a vacuum cleaner hose in place you are bound to get a small air gap. I fear that whatever you do, you will get a flow of oil from the drain plug when you undo it to re-seat it, so just place a pan underneath when you do the work to catch whatever comes out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vacuum idea seemed neat and clean so the idea took hold!
I just had the feeling from other engines that there was more than one way for air to get to the sump so I discounted just leaving the filler cap on.
We'll see!

·
Super Moderator
2014 A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI Contrast Line +
74 Posts
What you can get is a "vacuum" pump drain system that works by poking a long thin tube down the dipstick tube into the sump, then sucking/pumping the oil out into a suitable container. This would enable you to re-use the oil if you wanted to drain it out just to re-fit the drain plug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bit the bullet and duck-taped a vacuum cleaner tube to the filler. The connection was easier than I'd thought and the drain plug was replaced with no oil loss but a lot of slurping sounds.
The oil level was on max still so the mess underneath didn't indicate anything more than a real cleaning job.
The patterned aluminium fitted to the back of the lower cover was a real pain as it oozed oil out for 3 hours. I guess it's a strengthener but mine was badly fitted to the cover, accounting for the oil it had under it.
The worst part of the whole job was refitting the panel's rear central screw. What had held the screw disappeared when I unscrewed it. The hole it had to fix in was much bigger than all the 8 other standard screw retainers. It's about 12mm square and I couldn't find anything apart from copper wire to hold that point secure. Without support it hangs down at the back in the middle by 5cm, a real temptation to get it caught on something.
I can't see the specific cover in the EPC online so I can't see how it should be fixed.
Has anyone else come across this problem, please?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts