Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is true, it might be the best mistake that ever happened ........

I took the car out today for its first proper run, a 130 mile round trip to Somerset. After a few miles, I realised that there was no stop-start happening but I only investigated properly tonight when I got home. Where the button should be to turn the stop-start off, I've just got a blank plate.

Then I looked in the boot. On the label that gives all the code details for the car and its options, I've got:

A1 1.4
136 DSG

I only ordered / paid for the 1.4 122!

Am I right in thinking I've got the more powerful engine for free?

And do I tell the dealer? I'll have to inform the insurance company ...

Oh what a (delightful?) quandary to be in :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
22 Posts
christam said:
If this is true, it might be the best mistake that ever happened ........

I took the car out today for its first proper run, a 130 mile round trip to Somerset. After a few miles, I realised that there was no stop-start happening but I only investigated properly tonight when I got home. Where the button should be to turn the stop-start off, I've just got a blank plate.

Then I looked in the boot. On the label that gives all the code details for the car and its options, I've got:

A1 1.4
136 DSG

I only ordered / paid for the 1.4 122!

Am I right in thinking I've got the more powerful engine for free?

And do I tell the dealer? I'll have to inform the insurance company ...

Oh what a (delightful?) quandary to be in :shock: :shock: :shock:
That number can't refer to the engine's power output, because I have the 1.4 122ps also, and my sticker reads

A1 1.4
90 M6S

The lack of Start/Stop is curious, though - you're sure there's no button at the top of the dash?

There is also the fact that Audi no longer use the term 'DSG' in reference to its auto boxes. But then I'm not sure exactly what 'M6S' means, either.

EDIT - I just realised, upon looking at the engine's tech specs, that the 122ps version has a figure of 90kw in its stats, while the 185ps version has 136kw :shock:

My instinct now is that you may be right. What to do next is beyond me, though.

You may not remember, but did you test drive the 1.4 before buying? If so, does your car feel more powerful?

·
Registered
921 Posts
You got the registration doc yet? What does it say?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i did think I might be getting excited over nothing. But there's definitely only a blank plate where the button should be.

Any 185 owners online? How do you tell which engine you've got? Apart from looking on the invoice, that is :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chelmersteve said:
You got the registration doc yet? What does it say?
No, not received yet - I only picked up the car on Friday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Only one way to settle it, how fast can you do 0-60 :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Two easy ways to tell if its a 185

Put your foot down, you will soon find out

The other way is the speedo, a 122 has the digits in normal font, The 185 has the digits in italics

Also the rev counter red lines at 7k, not the lower 6k for the rest of the range.

The two things you dont have with a 185 are start stop and for some reason you cant get the tow bar fitted?

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
WOW... You got a 185 for a 122 price! DEAL!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LiamMac1988 said:
That number can't refer to the engine's power output, because I have the 1.4 122ps also, and my sticker reads

A1 1.4
90 M6S

The lack of Start/Stop is curious, though - you're sure there's no button at the top of the dash?

There is also the fact that Audi no longer use the term 'DSG' in reference to its auto boxes. But then I'm not sure exactly what 'M6S' means, either.

EDIT - I just realised, upon looking at the engine's tech specs, that the 122ps version has a figure of 90kw in its stats, while the 185ps version has 136kw :shock:

My instinct now is that you may be right. What to do next is beyond me, though.

You may not remember, but did you test drive the 1.4 before buying? If so, does your car feel more powerful?
I never test drove an A1 before ordering - I was already driving an A3 with an auto box and knew the A1 would be at least as good to drive. At the moment mine doesn't feel very powerful at all because I'm doing the "Oh, it's very new, must watch the revs for a bit", although the one time today I did put my foot down for a few seconds, it certainly responded well.

Your M6S will stand for Manual 6 Speed :)

Thanks for going to the trouble to check.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
I hope they send me a 185 instead of a TDI haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
christam said:
Your M6S will stand for Manual 6 Speed :)
D'oh! :oops: Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bob_s said:
Two easy ways to tell if its a 185

Put your foot down, you will soon find out

The other way is the speedo, a 122 has the digits in normal font, The 185 has the digits in italics

Also the rev counter red lines at 7k, not the lower 6k for the rest of the range.

The two things you dont have with a 185 are start stop and for some reason you cant get the tow bar fitted?
Curiouser and curiouser. I've just gone out to the car for the umpteenth time since getting home to check the speedo. The digits are in normal font but the rev counter red lines at 7k. The speedo also has a top speed of 160mph, if that's any different to the 122 model??

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mojito said:
Fingers crossed they accidentally send me a 185, with Bose, full leather, and the technology pack :lol:

·
Registered
921 Posts
The 90 and 136 on the build labels refer to the power in KW (90KW = 122 ps and 136 KW = 185ps)

Ooops - someone beat me to it, sorry

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Ollz said:
Mojito said:
Fingers crossed they accidentally send me a 185, with Bose, full leather, and the technology pack :lol:
Swap? :lol:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chelmersteve said:
The 90 and 136 on the build labels refer to the power in KW (90KW = 122 ps and 136 KW = 185ps)

Ooops - someone beat me to it, sorry
Thanks anyway - that's what I was hoping :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ollz said:
Mojito said:
I've got the Audi Sound System and have been so impressed with it I was going to start a thread about it tonight. Then this started ......

·
Registered
22 Posts
christam said:
I've got the Audi Sound System and have been so impressed with it I was going to start a thread about it tonight. Then this started ......
Going off topic now, but I agree, it is a pretty good upgrade! I'm curious, though, as to what your settings are for subwoofer, bass and treble?

I endlessly fiddle with settings like this on all my AV kit anyway, but the performance of this system in particular seems to vary wildly depending on the track (although never really bad). The bass can sound perfect on one track, but then switch to another and it's too boomy! Some tracks are susceptible to brightness in the treble, some aren't. I guess this must be down to the music and not the speaker system though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Brilliant news but your going to have to inform someone eventually. I'm guessing Audi think your car's registered as a 1.4 122PS ??

When you come to tax it and sell it and even possibly have it serviced its not going to add up when theres a 185PS lump sat in there instead and Audi may even be cheeky enough to insinuate you've swapped the engines and void your warranty.

I can't imagine them taking the car off you now as its there mix up and not yours! Are the brakes etc the same on the 122 and 185? If not have yours got the correct brakes on? It sounds like they've built you a 185 from the start if the start/stop isn't fitted.

If your 100% sure its the 185 I'd get straight on to the insurance in the morning and make them aware to be on the safe side.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts