Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to go out again but I restructured the day to make sure I could go to see the dealer and have just got back.

Last night before going to bed I went through all the paperwork I received on Friday and it was obvious that the tax disc is for a 185, and the invoice shows the 185 engine at the top of the page, even though the price is for the 122.

Anyway .......... (is the suspense too much?)

I've got a free upgrade to a 185 engine!!! My dealership is absolutely the best - it's Poole Audi, should you need to know.

The fault is almost certainly Audi's rather than the salesman's or the dealership's, although I believe they might restructure their tax disc buying / invoicing procedures to make sure any such mistake in future is picked up before the customer takes delivery.

They said they appreciated my honesty in going in as soon as I discovered the mistake. All finance stays the same, including the GFV, so if I choose to change again in three years there should be more built-in equity than I was expecting.

Am I happy? You bet!!! This is the second-best car-related thing that's ever happened to me. In fact, I think I might start a thread about best and worst car-related episodes in our lives ........

Got to go out again now. I'll check back later to take all the envious and/or congratulatory comments :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
You should get them to cover your extra insurance costs !

But your very lucky .

Well done.

·
Registered
96 Posts
A much (over)used cliche comes to mind ......

RESULT!

Nice one ... enjoy your new A1 (even more than before)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Surely the insurance company already know the car's a 185?

If its been taxed as a 185 its going to of been registered as a 185 and when the insurance company enter the registration you've given them its going to come back as a 185??

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Result! I'm well jel ;)

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
haha someones getting the sack at Poole Audi :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am not sure that you have got such a tremendous deal, as you might think. In Germany the 185PS version has lots of equipment as standard, which costs extra for the 122PS version. With the same equipment the 185PS version only costs about EUR 200 more. However, the running costs of the 185PS are much higher. If you do not "need" the extra PS, maybe you would be better off insisting on having the car you actually ordered.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
That's Germany though... Check the prices in Asia, Kenny on here will tell you the price of an A1 there.

And insurance on a 185 is cheaper than a 122 and a TDI, would you believe!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sheffield said:
I am not sure that you have got such a tremendous deal, as you might think. In Germany the 185PS version has lots of equipment as standard, which costs extra for the 122PS version. With the same equipment the 185PS version only costs about EUR 200 more. However, the running costs of the 185PS are much higher. If you do not "need" the extra PS, maybe you would be better off insisting on having the car you actually ordered.
I'm back, but only briefly - got to eat.

As far as I can see, in the UK the only extra you get with the 185 is the engine itself and possibly the "mono pur" centre console and armrest. If I knew what mono pur was, I'd go out and check. Insurance is a bit higher, tax is £20 more per year, and obviously petrol will be right-foot-dependent but I'll probably give it super unleaded on a regular basis so that'll cost a bit more for each fill-up.

I'm sure I'll be in profit during the three years I'll probably keep the car. And I'm still smiling. A lot :) :) :)

G

·
Sheffield said:
I'm with Sheffield on this one. If I wanted a 185 I'd buy one. If I ordered a 122 and got a 185 it would be rejected as it'll cost more to insure (I checked), cost more to run and NOT what I ordered. Someones messed up here.

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
My insurance quote for a 185 was cheaper than my TDI.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Quick thought- is it not going to cause a problem that you have the 122 dials? (it's revs lower) and also won't the gearbox be tuned for a lower power engine?

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Chunky Monkey said:
Mojito said:
What about a 122 ? I'm pretty sure as the 185 gets more popular the insurance will go up accordingly.
TDI is £260... 185 £220.

185 was cheaper than 122 too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bit like ordering a hamburger and getting a t-bone steak for the same price instead isn't it? I can understand not everybody wants a steak, but for people who do, it's a great stroke of luck! Can't understand the negativity really. If he wasn't happy with it, or if it was going to cost so much more, I'm sure he would have rejected it.

G

·
Mojito said:
Chunky Monkey said:
Mojito said:
What about a 122 ? I'm pretty sure as the 185 gets more popular the insurance will go up accordingly.
TDI is £260... 185 £220.

185 was cheaper than 122 too.
185 for me was considerably more expensive than the 122, and as a higher powered and more expensive car to replace it makes sense. Perhaps your insurace company haven't rated it properly, how often is a more powerful car cheaper to insure?

Not often these days.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Chunky Monkey said:
185 for me was considerably more expensive than the 122, and as a higher powered and more expensive car to replace it makes sense. Perhaps your insurace company haven't rated it properly, how often is a more powerful car cheaper to insure?

Not often these days.
The 1.4 TFSI I was quoted on was a fair bit cheaper for me as opposed to the 1.2 TFSI or 1.6 TDI. It is strange but I wouldn't be at all surprised.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts