Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Picked up my A1 yesterday on Launch Day. Phantom Black with Ice Silver Contrast Roof Line, Climate Control, BOSE and a few other extras.

Was slightly nervous as had not test driven one before, although did sit in one back in the Summer. Build quality and overall finish is excellent. It i higher than a lot of other bigger/more expensive 'executive' cars. I have an A3 as my other car and the build quality is a step up from that.

Drove it home on the motorway, as well as suburban roads. Has plenty of power and feels solid when cruising at speed. I didn't push it as I guess its best to let engine run in a bit, but still you never feel short of power. Seen other comments about the gearing and possibly sometimes you will have 'work' the gears a bit, but nothing to distract from the overall driving experience. The steering is fine, lighter than my A3 but this is to be expected on a lighter smaller car. Even at speed it still has the feeling of solidness. The ride firmness is perfect, firm enough for cornering with enough speed to raise a smile, but not hard enough to jolt your back over speed bumps etc.

I specced the BOSE upgrade and it was well worth it. Excellent sound. If you are thinking about BOSE and you love your music...do it!

I have synch'ed my mobile with the car and it was fairly straightfoward. Still trying to find my way around navigating around the the whole display. Sandisk 16GB SDHC memory card recognised immediately. Interesting I was able to stream music, via Bluetooth, from my phone....didn't think this was possible unless you had the Media Connectivity package? Having said that, it did sound much poorer than CD or Memory Card playback.

I didn't spec the Xenons as this option was not available on the Sport when I ordered, but still think the standard lights look cool.

You get used to the Start/Stop system after a while, and stop noticing it.

Out for some more driving today

:cool:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hows it looking on the petrol usage?

·
Registered
220 Posts
When does the start stop kick in? When you have stopped but still have the clutch pushed in whilst in gear. Or do you have to be in neutral?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Petrol Update - Got around 45mpg whilst around 60mph/70mph(still running in :cry: ) on a 60 mile motorway round trip today.

It is actually quite hard not to put your foot down as there is plenty of power available. Can't wait until engine run in a bit then I can really put foot down(within legal limits of course ;) ).

On a side note. Already had someone pull up next to me whilst I was parked up to look my car over! Very strange feeling, but good! :)

:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
have they said what miles youve got to do ? to run it in .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently the first thousand you should take it easy. I think I read somewhere it's better to do those thousand as motorway miles if possible as engine gets up to full operating temperature, rather than stop/go miles in town....but I am no mechanic so what do I know!! :?

It makes sense to take it easy anyway, purely from a common sense point of view. Did it for my A3 and it never did it any harm.

Plus who ever goes faster than 70mph anyway? ;) ;)

By the way the Stop/Start is very unobtrusive. Initially thought I wouldnt like it but.....after 2 days I've started not to even notice it cutting in and out. Apparently it has 'intelligence' and if engine is cold or under heavy electrical load(max air con on a hot summers day plus stereo, etc..) then Stop/Start won't kick in, otherwise battery would drain to muchI guess?

:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can u flick through the settings and see if you can turn the speed limit warning off?

·
Registered
442 Posts
my only concern over the stop / start is what wear and tear is that doing to the starter motor? thats my only worry , even thought they of done a million tests on it thought? Can the stop / start be switched off?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, there is a Master button on the dash near the pop up screen.

I know what you mean about the wear and tear.....Will see how it goes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
kravi said:
What speed limit warning? :shock: Is that a UK thing?
When I test drove an A1 when I got to about 75ish a warning came up letting me know I was going over the limit!

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Its a manual thing, which can be turned off. Been around for years on Audis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.