Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Im considering both of these engines, but not sure which to go for.

I will be having the car remapped/SS exhaust in the near future, i have owned various Audis from a petrol TT to a remapped A2 TDI.

The A1 TDI engine is my current fav for ordering, although there is no option for S-Tronic which seems alot of fun. I went for a test drive in a Audi with the same engine as the A1's TDI and it was very quiet. I would have though it was a petrol!

It also had S-Tronic fitted, loved the paddle shifts and it seemed very relaxing to drive.

The A1 is 105ps as standard, what sort of power would be possible with the above mods? 140ps?
What about the mods on a 122ps 1.4 TFSI? 160ps?

I love the TDIs quoted 72mpg and £35 a year road tax, althogh i think the TFSI is 55mpg and £50 a year road tax?

What about resale value? TDI worth more?

Thanks,
Paul.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have ordered the 1.6 tdi will look to remap as soon as. Well I will have to being used to the A5 2.7 tdi for the last 3 years :eek:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mojito said:
Hi,
Im considering both of these engines, but not sure which to go for.

I will be having the car remapped/SS exhaust in the near future, i have owned various Audis from a petrol TT to a remapped A2 TDI.

The A1 TDI engine is my current fav for ordering, although there is no option for S-Tronic which seems alot of fun. I went for a test drive in a Audi with the same engine as the A1's TDI and it was very quiet. I would have though it was a petrol!

It also had S-Tronic fitted, loved the paddle shifts and it seemed very relaxing to drive.

The A1 is 105ps as standard, what sort of power would be possible with the above mods? 140ps?
What about the mods on a 122ps 1.4 TFSI? 160ps?

I love the TDIs quoted 72mpg and £35 a year road tax, althogh i think the TFSI is 55mpg and £50 a year road tax?

What about resale value? TDI worth more?

Thanks,
Paul.
I compliment your previous car history!

I have had a chat with one of our local tuning houses and while they have not yet tuned either of these engines, they would predict around 130PS for the deisel and 140-150PS for the petrol. The have tuned the 1.4T and 1.6TDI in the VW, but the components are actually very different and so tests will need to be done on the first.

I must point out here than having your car re-mapped (if detected) will invalidate your 3 year warranty and any extended warranties that are in place. I must also warn you that when your car is updated when in for a service, it will often overwrite the re-mapping.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
354 Posts
I guess it comes down to your driving needs and desires. Long motorway journeys would suggest a diesel, short city and county journeys a petrol.

Also the book figures for the diesel dont show it to be a great option for acceleration performance but great for MPG performance. Its down to what you want and need.

I know I will be using my next car more often for short journeys, and the occasional blast around the country so the obvious choice for me is the petrol.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sticking to the speed limit and not putting my footdown I am getting mid 40s all the time on my 1.4.Unless you do alot of miles I would get a petrol.The petrol is cheaper to buy and fuel is cheaper,but less road tax on the diesel.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I guess a lot depends on how heavy your right foot is and how many miles you travel. TDI's can be a bit of a false economy if you dont do the miles, due to the higher cost initially at the pump. My dealer and i sat and worked out the costings. A TFSi breaks even with a TDi around the 16000 miles a year mark. Any miles over that then you'll start to see savings with the TDi. This was just a quick 5 min calculation so is by no means accurate, but is a good benchmark... :?

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is a £650 difference between the cost of 1.4 TFSI and the 1.6 TDI
When you take into account that the petrol sits in Band D emissions group £90 a year road tax and the Diesel in Band B £20 a year tax, the first year is free for both cars, so over 3 Years there is a £510 difference.

The A1 has a 45 Litre tank which equates to 9.89861617 Gallons

fuel cost yesterday when i filled up was 126.9 p per litre for Petrol and 130.9 for diesel at the local supermarket filling station.

so would cost you £57.11 for a tank of petrol and £58.91 for diesel a premium of £1.80 compared to petrol

if you work out the mileage you should theoretically get from looking at Audi's figures for the A1

Tank Range Petrol - Combined Figures 53.5 MPG x 9.89861617 Gallon Tank = 527.6 Mile Tank Range
Tank Range Diesel - Combined Figures 70.6 MPG x 9.89861617 Gallon Tank = 698.8 Mile Tank Range
A increase of 171.2 Miles for the Diesel compared to the petrol at a cost of £1.80 which is more than 25% of the petrols tank range.

Generally Diesels have higher resale values than petrols when it comes to selling, so you need to look at if the saving of £510 over 3 years - £170 a Year when going for the petrol is worthwhile by looking at the mileage you do and taking into account future values, on the whatcar site they have a Petrol VS Diesel calculator and i have filled it in with the A1 and works out over 3 Years that you only have to do 5000 Miles a year for the diesel to make a profit when taking into account the road tax. This made some assumptions in regards that you took the service pack (i think most people would) so the servicing costs would be the same and the annual insurance costs would be the same as this is individual and could change person to person.

image001.png

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you go for the 1.4 tfsi Sport S-tronic you get the group C car tax

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ive read some thread the other day and couple of people have said they were getting 500miles out of a full tank with the diesel.

My petrol mini s got me 300 out of a full tank and i had to fill up at least twice amonth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts