Audi A1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next day delivery from TMC, excellent service. Installation was very simple taking only 5 minutes. Started up as normal and gentle driving around the local streets was unchanged. Accelerating a little more introduced a slight hesitancy but this was during warm up and has been noted on other reports during the first drive following fitting presumably as the ECU needs to learn the new settings. Once warmed up the drive was smooth and responsive. The increase in performance was very evident while accelerating from 30 - 70. It seemed to be smoother and effortless in comparison to before and while it wasn't a 'kick in the pants' change the butt dyno can feel the difference (Claimed 105-125ps and 175-225nm). I scanned for fault codes before and after and there were no problems. Driving again later in the day there was no hesitancy on warm up and acceleration at lower speeds with a heavy ish foot was surprisingly improved, I have not had chance to give it a proper assessment yet but will follow up.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Glad to see a 1.2 owner and gone for a TMC box!

I'm really interested in getting one - would like to hear if you think its worthwhile.
Would you say the acceleration is useful? Or is it really just for fun?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not yet been able to fully assess the performance but the midrange seems to have some useful extra punch. I'm also looking for extra mpg in normal day to day driving. I'll post an update when I can quantify the improvements better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've not yet had chance to assess the effect on fuel consumption from an economy point of view but it has had a good run out on some hilly twisty NSL roads nearby. It has certainly delivered against my expectations. The bottom end pick up with a 'drivers' foot is very good. It zips up through the gears with no loss of smoothness but just goes through them quicker. The mid range has really come alive giving a significant boost to overtaking prowess and feeling generally nippier on hills and in the twisties. The top end of the rev range now feels less breathless, pulling for longer and making better use of the sport mode on DSG. The best way of summarising the improvements is less effort. Given any situation the car does it easier, and smoother if you are pressing on. The problem with assessing engine changes lies in the DSG box that 'moderates' the 'feel' of what is happening. It requires a more frequent check of the speedo as you have gathered speed quicker and easier than previously. In terms of fuel consumption I have not been able to do one of my normal runs to compare but a spirited drive out gave me figures equal to or maybe slightly better than pre-box.

·
Registered
82 Posts
fatbloke said:
I've not yet had chance to assess the effect on fuel consumption from an economy point of view but it has had a good run out on some hilly twisty NSL roads nearby. It has certainly delivered against my expectations. The bottom end pick up with a 'drivers' foot is very good. It zips up through the gears with no loss of smoothness but just goes through them quicker. The mid range has really come alive giving a significant boost to overtaking prowess and feeling generally nippier on hills and in the twisties. The top end of the rev range now feels less breathless, pulling for longer and making better use of the sport mode on DSG. The best way of summarising the improvements is less effort. Given any situation the car does it easier, and smoother if you are pressing on. The problem with assessing engine changes lies in the DSG box that 'moderates' the 'feel' of what is happening. It requires a more frequent check of the speedo as you have gathered speed quicker and easier than previously. In terms of fuel consumption I have not been able to do one of my normal runs to compare but a spirited drive out gave me figures equal to or maybe slightly better than pre-box.
I am I right in assuming that we are not talking about Audi's 1.2 86ps engine which does not feature the DSG box?

·
Registered
82 Posts
fatbloke said:
Oops sorry, no it's a Skoda Fabia. I joined here to research info for the TMC box and felt I ought to feedback in return.
That's fine. It gives us an indication of what to expect, and the information provided is most helpful.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think the 105 bhp is available in several models inc VW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Skoda also offer the 86ps version. I am sure it must just be a different map. TBH I don't understand why they do this, they also offer 1.6 diesel in 90PS & 105PS. The 1.4 twincharge also comes with 150,180, 185PS depending on car and market.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Its all about aiming a model at certain age groups and insurance ratings, it may be that a 17 year old who just passed their test can only insure the 86bhp and not the 105bhp. So different versions are aimed at different customers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Economy feedback: I drove a route that I had previously run a few times and achieved 42-44mpg. Today I did the same route, the first time since fitting the box - 48.9mpg and that was not being as careful as I might be. The claims of up to +10% economy appear to be justified.

(Had SWMBO in the car and she commented after an overtake that the improvement in performance is noticable and quite significant)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Declared the box to my insurer today - Admiral. They only wanted an extra £37.50 for the year for increases of 11% - 25% more power. This will be made up for fourfold in the fuel savings going to and from work each year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did a 0-62mph this weekend with SWMBO in the passenger seat timekeeping (Ballast :lol: ). Not at all scientific other than doing 2 runs in opposite directions to allow for a slight gradient. Not corrected for speedo accuracy but equally not corrected for the time delay in me observing the speedo and saying stop to my timekeeper to her then reacting and pressing the stop button. The result was 8.9 seconds out and 9.3 seconds back average 9.1 seconds vs. 10.1 seconds claimed as standard.
Additionally did a motorway run that normally returns me 39-40mpg and got 46mpg.
Result!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
fatbloke said:
Next day delivery from TMC, excellent service. Installation was very simple taking only 5 minutes. Started up as normal and gentle driving around the local streets was unchanged. Accelerating a little more introduced a slight hesitancy but this was during warm up and has been noted on other reports during the first drive following fitting presumably as the ECU needs to learn the new settings. Once warmed up the drive was smooth and responsive. The increase in performance was very evident while accelerating from 30 - 70. It seemed to be smoother and effortless in comparison to before and while it wasn't a 'kick in the pants' change the butt dyno can feel the difference (Claimed 105-125ps and 175-225nm). I scanned for fault codes before and after and there were no problems. Driving again later in the day there was no hesitancy on warm up and acceleration at lower speeds with a heavy ish foot was surprisingly improved, I have not had chance to give it a proper assessment yet but will follow up.
"butt dyno" - AWESOME! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts