Audi A1 Forum banner

Audi S3 vs Golf R

82K views 444 replies 24 participants last post by  Mojito 
#1 ·
So the new Golf R goes on sale today and I've been having a look at both the Golf R and the Audi S3, they both have the 300ps 2.0 petrol injected engine, a newly designed version of the GTI engine but different bodies. The golf R does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and the S3 does it in 4.8 seconds comparing the DSG boxes. Both cars put out 380nm of torque, or 280 lb/ft. They both produce 40.9mpg supposedly, but I wouldn't trust this as far as I could throw it, not coming from Audi! 40mpg is probably more like 20mpg! But then again, you wouldn't be buying a performance hatch for the economy!
The Audi is slightly lighter than the VW, 1415kg vs 1495kg in the VW, which will probably help to explain the 0.1 second difference in the 0-60 times.
They both have their own versions of four wheel drive, to assist with the handling of the car. The VW uses 4MOTION and the S3 uses the Audi Quattro system.
The golf R seems to come with more as standard, such as cruise control and Xenons, but then the S3 has Audi magnetic ride which continually adapts the suspension damping to result in a better handling car as well as a more comfortable ride (supposedly!)
I specced two up to a similar (ish) standard and the golf R was £4000 cheaper than the S3! But are the 4 rings worth £4k more...?
The on the road prices of a DSG 3 door Golf R is £31315 and £33640 in the S3.
Personally I am swaying slightly towards the Golf... What does everybody else think?
So if anybody would like to make my Christmas and buy me one of these, I will reward you with a lifetime of cakes! :mrgreen:

See less See more
#427 ·
The R does look a bit plain from the front, but the rear end of it is awesome! I like that the golf comes with a lot more tech as standard too.
Audi Bristol looked down their noses at me but I've had pretty good service from VW Swindon. All has been confirmed and I have ordered a Golf R! Yay!

#429 ·
Seats don't bother me, I'd rather soft alcantara over leather stuck to my ass! But if you're dead set on leather then the s3 is probably the better option.
The whole R vs S3 is like PC vs Mac, it will go on forever lol

#430 ·
Except Mac is better ;)

#431 ·
Both Audi S3 and Golf R from the front look like normal run of the mill variants of that range.
Its only folk that are interested in cars that would be able to spot they were different if they weren't parked next to one of its cooking variety.

The S3 has a bit more chrome and the subtlest difference in its front bumper.
The R bumper is a bit more noticeable from its lower siblings as it slopes out the way, the opposite to the normal golf.

But is that not both their intentions? To be a wolf in a sheep's clothing?

Its not until you come to the back of either, or rather as they fly past you :eek: that you notice the more in your face 4 exhausts?

Both great cars but everything has to be paid for in the Audi even the simplest of things. I compiled a very basic list a few months back when I was deciding between various cars.

Below is standard in the Golf which has to be paid for in the Audi.
Its a not a full list by any means its just stuff I would have wanted on my next car. A lot of it is basic stuff as well.

Privacy Glass
Folding mirrors
Light / rain sensor
Adaptive headlights
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Armrest at rear that allows access to boot
Parking sensors front and rear
Cruise control / Adaptive Cruise

Also the Golf has the Automatic Post-Collision Braking System which in itself works great.
If you spec the DSG and put it into adaptive cruise it will literally drive you to your destination, braking and accelerating with no driver input apart from if the car becomes stationary it needs a blip on the accelerator to get it going again.

I know the S3 gets leather but for me half leather would be ideal but I'd pay not to have the full leather.

#432 ·
Jenny19 said:
Seats don't bother me, I'd rather soft alcantara over leather stuck to my ass! But if you're dead set on leather then the s3 is probably the better option.
The whole R vs S3 is like PC vs Mac, it will go on forever lol
I'm dead set on a S3 because I'm a badge snob :p
I did weigh up both but things like lack of speaker upgrade and need to go to the 19s as the standard alloys are not to my taste...

Now where people think stuff like parking sensors , auto dimming mirrors are standard on the golf, the golf omits huge must haves giving the requirement for the winter pack!

As I mentioned before it's swings and roundabouts.

#433 ·
Lol with you lot and your R and S3 comparisons.

Some reasons why the S3 won it for me:-

- Try explaining what a Golf R is to a lot of people and you end up saying "a faster Golf GTI". Yet to meet anyone who doesn't know what an S3 is.
- The S3 does look better. R is a bit blink and you miss it.
- Dashboard and interior quality in the R is not as good as S3. Lots of shiny black plastic.
- Audi service is wayyyy better than VW's
- LED headlights
- MMI system is light years ahead ergonmically than the frankly awful touchscreen system in the Golf.

£33k all in for my S3 and it's a nice spec. It gets a lot of attention. Very happy with it - no wishing I had bought an R....

#434 ·
That's 6 reasons... No wonder you bought the S3, by your math it must be cheaper too ;)

#437 ·
little wong said:
Seriously glad I went for an S3. Mk3 TT prices are now on the Audi website and it's one seriously overpriced car!
It's ridiculous!

£35k before options on a 230 p.s 2.0 TFSI Quattro s-line. That would be £37k with adding the same options I have on my S3. But, that's wouldn't be the end of it as I would have to have those trick matrix LED headlights and the air vent control system.

So basically the TT is £2k more expensive with options over my S3 which is sat on the same MQB platform, same Haldex system, gear box, two less seats and 70 p.s deficit.

Think Audi are smoking something at the moment......

#438 ·
Wayyyy too expensive. The TT has increased by 10k from when i bought my first one back in 2002.

I know theres inflation, but 10k is laughable.

I do like the new TT, but i can think of better cars to buy for £35k plus.

I do wonder if pcp will be cheap if the residuals are very good. So, it may not be such a bad buy.

I would take the S3 though thats for sure!

#439 ·
It looks fabulous in all honesty. Forgetting all the price stuff, it's a bold design with the TFT console and air vent controls. Its instantly made many of its competitors look behind the times.

I think its a very good looking car and with its very interesting design features, it will be enough for many people to pay the premium for it.

They are going to sell like hot cakes....give it a few months and the order book will be 6 months long. PCP will probably be a good deal as sure the GFV will be very strong.

#441 ·
little wong said:
Hence I'm giving it a few years and then I'll be able to settle with a ultra stronic. Pipe and slippers are now beaconig and the S3 is my last swan song as it'll be hybrid moving forwards
I suspect the next generation S3 / A3 will be e-tron through out the range. Petrol and electric motor as standard with an electric turbo.

I think electric motors could really make life fun going forward when supplementing and boosting performance.

#442 ·
Pulp84 said:
little wong said:
Hence I'm giving it a few years and then I'll be able to settle with a ultra stronic. Pipe and slippers are now beaconig and the S3 is my last swan song as it'll be hybrid moving forwards
I suspect the next generation S3 / A3 will be e-tron through out the range. Petrol and electric motor as standard with an electric turbo.

I think electric motors could really make life fun going forward when supplementing and boosting performance.
Wife has electric car and it's rapid off the lights
Only upto about 40mph though

#443 ·
Spider said:
Pulp84 said:
little wong said:

Wife has electric car and it's rapid off the lights
Only upto about 40mph though
Electric motors = lots of torque = great acceleration whilst at low speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.