Audi S3 vs Golf R

Discuss other models in the Audi range, or other Marques

Re: Audi S3 vs Golf R

Postby Pulp84 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Lol with you lot and your R and S3 comparisons.

Some reasons why the S3 won it for me:-

- Try explaining what a Golf R is to a lot of people and you end up saying "a faster Golf GTI". Yet to meet anyone who doesn't know what an S3 is.
- The S3 does look better. R is a bit blink and you miss it.
- Dashboard and interior quality in the R is not as good as S3. Lots of shiny black plastic.
- Audi service is wayyyy better than VW's
- LED headlights
- MMI system is light years ahead ergonmically than the frankly awful touchscreen system in the Golf.

£33k all in for my S3 and it's a nice spec. It gets a lot of attention. Very happy with it - no wishing I had bought an R....
Last edited by Pulp84 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A1 185 Black Edition (sadly gone - not forgotten)

Now driving - S3 Sportback (wow....just wow!)
Pulp84
A1F Major Contributor

Advertisement

Postby josedebardi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:53 pm

That's 6 reasons... No wonder you bought the S3, by your math it must be cheaper too ;)
Audi S1 Sportback (sold)
Vegas Yellow Brilliant Black Contrast Roof, 18" S Matt Black Alloys, Super Sports Seats, Yellow Backrest Covers/Contrast Stitching
Packages;
Quattro Exterior/Interior, Tech, High Gloss Black, Storage/Luggage
Includes; Quattro Roof Spoiler and Side Logo, Red Headlight Trim and Brake Calipers with S1 Logo, Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel, Alloy Air Vent Sleeves with Red rings, HDD Sat Nav MMI with AMI
Options;
Advanced Key, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, BOSE Sound System, Cruise Control, Door Mirrors - Heated and Folding, Front Centre Armrest, Hill Hold Assist, Mobile Prep High - with Audi Connect, PDC - Front and Rear, Privacy Glass, Rear Floor Mats
Post delivery mods;
Wrap lower tailgate in black
DTUK FSR Tuning and Pedal boxes (284bhp/445Nm)
Reversing Camera
Other cars;
Audi RS3
Hyundia i10 Premium SE
Audi SQ5 (sold)

VCDS USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM for coding/mods in Dorset for beer/money :roll:
josedebardi
Site Admin

Postby Pulp84 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:24 pm

josedebardi wrote:That's 6 reasons... No wonder you bought the S3, by your math it must be cheaper too ;)

Corrected. Lol. I had three and then I found some more!

Pulp84
A1F Major Contributor

Postby little wong » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:34 am

Seriously glad I went for an S3. Mk3 TT prices are now on the Audi website and it's one seriously overpriced car!
little wong
A1F Regular

Postby Pulp84 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:29 pm

little wong wrote:Seriously glad I went for an S3. Mk3 TT prices are now on the Audi website and it's one seriously overpriced car!

It's ridiculous!

£35k before options on a 230 p.s 2.0 TFSI Quattro s-line. That would be £37k with adding the same options I have on my S3. But, that's wouldn't be the end of it as I would have to have those trick matrix LED headlights and the air vent control system.

So basically the TT is £2k more expensive with options over my S3 which is sat on the same MQB platform, same Haldex system, gear box, two less seats and 70 p.s deficit.

Think Audi are smoking something at the moment......

Pulp84
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Mojito » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:35 pm

Wayyyy too expensive. The TT has increased by 10k from when i bought my first one back in 2002.

I know theres inflation, but 10k is laughable.

I do like the new TT, but i can think of better cars to buy for £35k plus.

I do wonder if pcp will be cheap if the residuals are very good. So, it may not be such a bad buy.

I would take the S3 though thats for sure!
370PS MK7 Golf R | 5dr | Pure White | Mobius Dashcams's | Private Plate
2.0 TDI Black Edition | Glacier White Metallic | Bose | 5yr Service Plan
1.6 TDI S-Line | Amalfi White | Xenons | Comfort Pack | 5yr Service Plan
Mojito
A1F Resident

Postby Pulp84 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:10 pm

It looks fabulous in all honesty. Forgetting all the price stuff, it's a bold design with the TFT console and air vent controls. Its instantly made many of its competitors look behind the times.

I think its a very good looking car and with its very interesting design features, it will be enough for many people to pay the premium for it.

They are going to sell like hot cakes....give it a few months and the order book will be 6 months long. PCP will probably be a good deal as sure the GFV will be very strong.

Pulp84
A1F Major Contributor

Postby little wong » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:21 am

Hence I'm giving it a few years and then I'll be able to settle with a ultra stronic. Pipe and slippers are now beaconig and the S3 is my last swan song as it'll be hybrid moving forwards
little wong
A1F Regular

Postby Pulp84 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:02 pm

little wong wrote:Hence I'm giving it a few years and then I'll be able to settle with a ultra stronic. Pipe and slippers are now beaconig and the S3 is my last swan song as it'll be hybrid moving forwards

I suspect the next generation S3 / A3 will be e-tron through out the range. Petrol and electric motor as standard with an electric turbo.

I think electric motors could really make life fun going forward when supplementing and boosting performance.

Pulp84
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Spider » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Pulp84 wrote:
little wong wrote:Hence I'm giving it a few years and then I'll be able to settle with a ultra stronic. Pipe and slippers are now beaconig and the S3 is my last swan song as it'll be hybrid moving forwards

I suspect the next generation S3 / A3 will be e-tron through out the range. Petrol and electric motor as standard with an electric turbo.

I think electric motors could really make life fun going forward when supplementing and boosting performance.

Wife has electric car and it's rapid off the lights
Only upto about 40mph though
2.0 tdi black edition
Brilliant black
Spider
A1F Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Other Marques (inc' other Audi!)