Audi A1 Forum banner

A1 Handling

30K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  spaceprobe 
#1 ·
What does everybody think about the handling of their A1?
I've come from a mini so I'm used to a stiff suspension set up but go kart handling, the sport suspension on the A1 feels like driving on pillows compared to the mini, but I can't say the handling is exactly impressive.
I know they aren't built to be fantastic handling cars, but I have noticed it struggling to hold to the road when I try and get it round sharper bends.
Had an A1 race back from Castle Combe to the M4 the other day across the country roads and it was pretty good along there, but there weren't any particularly sharp bends.
It's still fun to drive, I just wish I could throw it round some sharper corners! :D
I test drive a DS3 and the handling on that was shocking, couldn't get round a roundabout at a reasonable speed without it feeling like it was going to come off the road!

#2 ·
It's actually not that bad I find. Not as sharp as a MINI, but that's a good thing as its not as fidgety.
The rear of the A1 I find tracks around very well considering it's torsion bar rather than multilink back there. Grip levels are impressive however the steering could have more feel to give you more confidence going into corners.
It's still a fun car to drive if pushed, far more refined than a MINI and therefore I find easier to live with.
Does it handle as well as my TT, NOT a chance :lol:

#3 ·
Can't agree more with your assessment of the handling. I think unfortunately this is the result of torsion beam suspension.

Sometimes I find with the 185 it has too much torque through bends if you adjust the throttle mid corner. I find myself also breaking quite harshly coming up to bends because I find I don't have the confidence with the handling to go quick. The MINI JP Works I had few years ago handled so well but you paid for it with the harsh ride.

I thought the light steering didn't help so got it adjusted it through VCDS to make it heavier, but actually with the torque I find I'm wrestling to get the power down. Think I might need to change it.

Overall the handling is good but not great and this is very noticeable if you have come from a car with a reputation for excellent handling. I will also add I have yet to drive any Audi that has wowed me with handling....

#4 ·
I know what you mean about the confidence in the car, I knew with my mini I could literally throw it round any bend pretty quick and it would just stick to the road, with the audi I feel like it may lose its grip and spin off.
Cant comment on the torque as my engine isnt as powerful! Wouldnt mind getting a tuning box for the engine though.
To be fair, the A1 isnt built to be like a go kart like the minis are so I guess it will never be as sharp as a mini.

#6 ·
Danosaurs said:
disregard A1 acquire Z4
If you're paying? Yes please!

#9 ·
its certainly less understeery than my previous A3 sportback and A4 Avant but certainly does not handle as good as my wifes old R53 mini cooper or my son's R56 mini cooper
Despite it having the heavy 2.0tdi engine its still fun to drive on my daily commute

#10 ·
I find the ride a good balance of firm yet compliant. Handling is not bad, but it is pretty understeery when pushed. I have had a couple of moments when it has pushed on earlier than I would have hoped and liked.

Coming to it from a Mercedes B Class it's like an F1 car, but an understeery one.

#11 ·
I find the my 185 handles good for 9/10 situations i chuck at it. However when seriously pressing on ive found the A1 is very easy to get lift off oversteer. People have reported that 35mm springs all round improves it by a lot. I will be purchasing some soon as for £135 its a fairly cheap yet improving mod.

#12 ·
Mine handles fine. Even on dynamic suspension. Yes ok, it is a bit soft and rolls a bit compared to my previous zetec s fiesta.
Think its all about how you drive and not about the cars handling. I prefer to be slower into a corner and power out rather than plough in and get understeer.
Most cars should handle perfectly fine at the legal speed limits.

I have lived in the country all my life so have got fed up with pushing a cars suspension/handling now.
Expect its a novelty for town people who actually find a twisty B road and can get out of 2nd gear town driving. Beats drifting around roundabouts. :lol:

#13 ·
I am happy with the way mine handles ........ not having had a mini before helps ;-)

Remember that the A1 has got quite good traction control ...... try pushing it a little harder and you will notice it kick in and stop you doing anything silly. I have had mine kick in a few times to the point I switch it off when I feel like having a blast, as it was slowing me down ;-)

#15 ·
ajk1972 said:
I am happy with the way mine handles ........ not having had a mini before helps ;-)
I think it depends on what MINI you had, I went from a Clubman (awesome car) to Countryman (complete POS) and now to an A1, which I'll get in 6 weeks, the demo car I had was a Sportsback with 18inch wheels and sports suspension, it destroys the Countryman, it feels far more secure around fast corners, it doesn't roll and I feel more confident. It's a good thing I can't remember how awesome the Clubman was.

#16 ·
My wifes R50 Mini Cooper wipes the floor with my A1 S/back . The steering just doesnt load up at all , the car just keeps going round . The ride is also better than my A1 on sport susp. and that is because she is on sensible 175mm tyres . Also her traction control is a million times better . Mine wheelspins like mad , then the TC decides its gonna do something and kicks in , by which time I've got embarressed and lifted off , only to be nearly hit up the back by a Transit van. TC is the worst thing on the car , and no the dealer says it correct for DSG .
Still like the A1 though , although the new 2014 Mini is interesting with the new engines !!!

#17 ·
Since acquiring my car in November I've yet to experience the handling limit! My car is equipped with two traction control systems - a silicon based one under the bonnet and a carbon based one located on the passenger seat ;)

#19 ·
AndyMac said:
Well my Mini, 1988 Mayfair, which is stuck in the garage is lucky if it gets outside twice a year. It corners on rails and so does the A1.
+1 on the classic mini :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I dont think handing is about the limits , its about how the car feels at any speed . Ive never driver either the Mini or the A1 off the road , but the difference is the steering feel is quite big . The A1 loads up quite a lot in tighter bends whereas the Mini never feels heavy and keeps tracking into the corner . Just drive a RWD BMW after a Mondeo and you will see what it means .

#21 ·
Mine handles like it's on rails. The only thing letting it down currently are the standard tyres which are pretty crappy in the wet...

I'm currently running KW V2 Coilovers, Ultra Racing upper strut brace and lower front bar/member brace. Going to upgrade my arbs and bushes sometime this year...

#22 ·
I have had my 1.4 sport auto for just under 2 weeks. I traded in my much loved 2.5 tdi A4. So the A4 was big and comfy which I used to describe as putting on ones favourite pair of shoes . Not going to set the world alight but was just a nice place to be that did every thing well. Went to see friends the other night 60 miles away through the twisty country lanes of the Sussex countryside. I found myself throwing it into bends with a big grin on my face, a bit like a go kart, perhaps but great fun, i was more concerned about my driving skills than the cars ability to handle it. One of the best things for me was the very supportive seats on the A1 sport. I used to slide all over the place on the A4's leather seats but am held securely and comfortably in place on the A1. Sad to see the A4 go (it felt like an old friend) but no regrets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.