Audi A1 Forum banner

A1 STEERING WHEEL

16K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  flyco 
#1 ·
Hi,

Just purchased my second A1, first was a 3dr Sport TDI - had a nice leather 3 spoke steering wheel (leather), new A1 is Sportback TDI Sport, 3 poke steering wheel "leather"? :?

The Sportback steering wheel feels more "fake leather" compared to my old A1 ... is it just me, maybe it's a different type of leather, it just doesn't feel as nice as the leather steering wheel on my old A1.

Does anyone have a standard steering wheel picture (non leather) from maybe a SE model? Just so I can compare ... anyone else had / noticed this?

Thanks in advance :D

#3 ·
@j400uk thanks for the reply & pic ... mine looks like the leather stitched one ... just feels a little harder than my last A1 leather wheel :? but my new A1 doesn't look like the wheel in the pic, it looks like my old one ... I wonder if they have changed leather suppliers :lol: ... maybe they have done a Tesco and switched beef for horse :lol:

#5 ·
When we initially ordered our SE Sportback we didn't bother adding the leather steering wheel, but a week later we thought we might as well, even though it seemed a bit unfair paying for one in what's regarded as a 'premium' marque - even our 1995 3 Series Compact had one as standard! Got a leather gearknob with it as well.

To start with we weren't used to the fine grain leather VW/Audi etc use and preferred the coarse grain leather on BMWs. After almost 2 years it has now become shinier and grippier. The chrome detailing also adds a nice touch - the plastic wheel has no chrome details where the blanking plates for the optional steering wheel buttons are. (We didn't bother with multifunction or trip computer)

Now we've got a new Tiguan with the same type of leather on the steering wheel. However it's easy to mix the keys up as they are generic VAG layout! :?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.