HOW TO - Install a Flat Bottom Steering Wheel !

Re: HOW TO - Install a Flat Bottom Steering Wheel !

Postby mjsaville » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:48 pm

Yeah, i puchased the latest tt wheel off ebay, although it would fit the a1 - none of the buttons would work as audi have developed new tech/system for the latest generation dash, etc. so I returned it to the seller on ebay.

You are mistaken about the connectors, the 4 white circular plastic bits are not connectors. The original a1 airbag has 2 circle metal studs - See Here: Image

which clip into the original a1 wheel - See Here:

Your flat bottom should have wheel has square catches in the middle of the wheel - See Here:

The 8v airbag needs to have 2 x sprung bars which catch on the square cleats - See Here:

Thats how its held - look at the youtube link i posted and you will see. That's why you cant use the original a1 airbag, i just noticed all my picute links are broken - bloody image shack , i need to relink the, to somewhere else. Any more queries just post :D
Last edited by mjsaville on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A1 1.4 150PS Sline, 3dr, Daytona Grey with Gloss Black hoops, alkantara Seat upgrade, Comfort Pack, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel, Magnetic Suspension, Privacy Glass, Quattro Red Headlights & S1 Aluminum Front Splitter. VCDS Mods: Parking Display, Bleep on Lock, Disable Rear WashWipe in Reverse, Seat Belt Chime.

Gone - A1 1.2 TFSI SE, Phantom Black,17" S-Line wheels, Fogs, DIS, TMC Motorsport Tuning Box, LED Interior Map Light mod, LED Number Plate mod, S5 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel, Polo Roof Aerial, Competition Line Rear Diffuser, Numerous VCDS mods
mjsaville
A1F Major Contributor

Advertisement

Postby miket528 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:29 pm

a new airbag from audi costs someware in the region of £700+vat trade, so why is this person on ebay selling new at this silly price so see this website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16249834 there are some clues in the price but it is your risk your life? there are some very scary vidios on youtube of the fake bags exploding parts into your face or not going off

google airbags hinkley
miket528
A1F Major Contributor

Postby mjsaville » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:21 am

Noted....
A1 1.4 150PS Sline, 3dr, Daytona Grey with Gloss Black hoops, alkantara Seat upgrade, Comfort Pack, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel, Magnetic Suspension, Privacy Glass, Quattro Red Headlights & S1 Aluminum Front Splitter. VCDS Mods: Parking Display, Bleep on Lock, Disable Rear WashWipe in Reverse, Seat Belt Chime.

Gone - A1 1.2 TFSI SE, Phantom Black,17" S-Line wheels, Fogs, DIS, TMC Motorsport Tuning Box, LED Interior Map Light mod, LED Number Plate mod, S5 Flat Bottom Steering Wheel, Polo Roof Aerial, Competition Line Rear Diffuser, Numerous VCDS mods
mjsaville
A1F Major Contributor

Postby John Z » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:04 pm

Recently bought myself a new flat bottom steering wheel with airbag at a best offer of £400 posted. Didn't fancy fitting used parts as I've found from experience many parts described as mint aren't.

Today I got the time to fit it at last. Having had airbags off & on Vauxhalls many times without going to the faff of disconnecting the battery I decided to miss that stage of the process with the A1. Happy to report it all went well with no mishaps.

Only had two minor hold ups.

One was getting the airbag out of the new wheel ready for fitting. It doesn't just pop out when the clips are unlatched. Each side has to be held unlatched while tugging that side of the airbag to get it to come forward.

The other was getting the yellow connector for the original airbag unplugged once I'd pulled out the white locking tab. I had to pull that hard I was seriously concerned something was going to break.
John Z
A1F Regular

Previous

Return to Audi A1 How Too's