Audi A1 Forum banner

HOW TO - Retrofit an Armrest

114K views 126 replies 54 participants last post by  Bran.xing 
#1 ·
Retro fit an armrest.

The good news is that this is not at all difficult, nor time consuming and does not need any special tools other than a couple of torx sockets.

Tools required:-

T20 socket or screw driver
T30 socket
Extension bar and ratchet
13mm spanner

Parts list:-

A8X0 864 245 FH 4 Armrest lid cloth (or A8X0 864 245 AT29 Armrest lid leatherette)
A8X0 864 207 6P S Armrest
A8X0 864 279 6P S Trim panel-Left
A8X0 864 280 6P S Trim panel-Right
A8X0 864 376 6P S Trim panel-Rear
A8X0 864 819 Seal
A8X0 863 416A Insert
A8X0 864 283 A Mounting
AN 907 988 05 Nut
AN 910 113 01 Screw (pack of 4)

Start by sliding both seats as far forward as possible, I found my drivers seat need lowering before it would go fully forward and it didn't want to stay folded, but the sun visor can be folded down to hold it in place

Here's where it all goes

Unscrew the T20 screw to release the centre trim

Bracket and fixing screws, the legs project towards the front

Not wishing to strip down the front section of the centre console, if it is wedged up at the back by 70mm the bracket can be slipped under: Please note this did not put undue pressure on the centre trim, but was done on a warm day, it may not be the same on older plastics in the middle of winter ;)

The fixing holes

With the bracket in place, screws inserted and wedge removed, lift the trim and push to one side for access to tighten the securing screws.

Bracket all installed, pat yourself on the back as you are nearly finished!!!

Right hand trim

Positioned

Installed

Left hand trim

Positioned

Ensure alignment of these lugs before pushing fully home

And again here, the groove at the top is where the gasket sits

Installed

Gasket partly installed

Now fully pushed home

Position onto the bracket, and tighten the nut (13mm spanner)
Note: the hole in the armrest is slotted and allows for a little sideways adjustment, before fully tightening the nut, ensure when folded down that the armrest has an equal distance to each seat

When fitting the rear cover, drop it down onto the lugs whilst tilted slightly backwards, then push forward guiding the lugs into the securing holes

Rear trim in place

Just the bottom mat to install

Job done, just the pad to fit

A big thank you to father ted for his technique to install the pad, and for the following photo, locate one side of the pegs into their respective holes in the main body, the other side follows with a gentle twisting motion.

I opted for the cloth pad as I wanted it finished in leather, here it is back from the trimmers

And finally installed

See less See more
#2 ·
damn you beat me to it nice job ,well done as i work 12 hour shifts ive still not had a chance to do mine but many congrats to you on this retro fit i take my hat off to you and good picture's

#6 ·
shakeystevo said:
Very nice job :) will be a good post to start a "How To" section, if we get one (*cough* Jae *cough*) lol

How much did it cost you for the parts in total??
List price of all the parts with the cloth pad was £154.10+VAT if you go for the leatherette pad I believe it is about £20 dearer. Local trimmers have quoted £40 for covering the pad, so to upgrade from the vinyl is only £20

#7 ·
quick question see when you pushed the trim to one side to tighten the bracket that holds the arm rest ,how did you get the other side done and how did you get carpet back under the trim?

#8 ·
father ted said:
quick question see when you pushed the trim to one side to tighten the bracket that holds the arm rest ,how did you get the other side done and how did you get carpet back under the trim?
Exactly the same way, lift it just above the bracket and push towards the passenger side.

The carpet naturally wants to lie flat, you just lower the trim back down over it

The bracket is asymmetrical, with a bit of a lug sticking out on the drivers side, but fear not because the arpet is already trimmed to go round it ;)

In the words of Nike, just do it, you'll end up wondering what you were worried about

#10 ·
The cloth is plain, i.e. the one that borders the centre section.

No idea at all regarding the leather match, but whatever it is like it will look better than the vinyl (leatherette) one. If you are stuck for a local coach trimmer I will certainly ask regarding mail order.

#12 ·
:roll: :lol:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

#13 ·
Fantastic, thanks a lot will definitely have to do one of these myself.

#18 ·
There is a knack to it...it's harder to get off than on which is ever so slightly reassuring

SWMBO tends to leave it up until she gets to A roads or motorways

#19 ·
That sounds just how it looks, I will have to check with the wife, I prefer to have somewhere to rest my arms, especially on long runs. Thanks for the post, it will help us decide. :D :)

#21 ·
Spud211 said:
Thanks for the post/tutorial - brilliant detail :)

I'd love to have a go at this myself, but as I have my A1 on a PCP i'm not sure that I can..anyone know the rules around doing a modification/upgrade like this when you are on a PCP?
Can't imagine it would be a problem, and you could remove sell it on before you give the car back

#23 ·
It certainly was more expensive than choosing it as an option, i think they came to around £173 with a 10% discount as a frequent buyer :lol:

#25 ·
Can I buy only the upper leather part and clip it to the base of the armrest?
If yes what's the part number?
Cheers

#26 ·
Zero|Cool said:
Can I buy only the upper leather part and clip it to the base of the armrest?
If yes what's the part number?
Cheers
No,it was covered by a local car trimmers as Audi only do cloth or leatherette (vinyl) I asked at the time and they will do mail order, although I would have thought you could get it done locally. If you get stuck PM me and I'll send the number over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.