Album Artwork on SD Card in MMI

Album Artwork on SD Card in MMI

Postby josedebardi » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 pm

It has been a long standing issue across the Audi range than getting album artwork and track names for your MP3's to work properly is not so simple as the MMI has a few annoying restrictions.

Having just gone through the pain myself of 'fixing' some files for my MiL to have an SD loaded in her A1, I thought I'd share the easy solution so everyone else can have a less painful experience!

First thing is I made all my files MP3 (not AAC/M4A/WMA etc). This is not strictly required for the MMI, but it makes the next few steps easier. This is easily achieved in many ways, personally I used iTunes.
1. Edit>Preferences
2. Change the Import Settings to MP3/320kbps
3. Select the albums you have in A.N. Other format and right click>Create MP3 Version

Now I copied all that I wanted to my SD card, using the standard Artist/Album folder structure (which iTunes and 99% of other music apps use).

Now for the what can be tricky bit... Getting all the ID3 Tags and Album Art properly formatted. There are many tools that can do this, but I stumbled on 'Bliss'. It allows 100 'fixes' for free, and then asks for £30 for unlimited 'fixes' thereafter. I personally feel this is very reasonable, and well worth the cost of the time it would take you to do it manually with the other free tools out there.
It is a currently maintained bit of software and a very good one at that. As you can see here it is already a proven tool for making MP3's work properly on Audi MMI.

So, what I did next, I pointed 'Bliss' at the SD card, told it all the parameters needed per the above link (and I also set it to force ID3 Tag v2.2, and fix filenames etc to all be a common sensible format).
It then proceeds to scan the SD card and point out which files are compliant and which need 'fixing'.
Now, at this point I realised it scanning an external SD card is slow, so my suggestion is you either;
a) Use 'Bliss' to fix your entire MP3 collection (may not be practical/take some time depending how big it is! - It will also likely confuse your preferred music playing app if you chose to rename/repath any files)
OR
b) Copy what you want on your SD to a temporary folder on your hard-drive, point 'Bliss' at that, fix it, then copy the resulting fixed files to the SD

Now, the really cool part is 'Bliss' actually searches online for artwork and you choose the one you want! So no fishing through Wiki, downloading and manually adding as would be required with other tools etc...
If you do use your own source for the artwork note it is much easier to fit the restrictions using JPG rather than PNG format (thanks to DTYME83 for this tip).

So, once you've fixed/tagged/added/resized art etc just safely eject the SD and pop it in the car.

Once in the car, start playing a file, then go to Settings, and enable 'Show Track Info' and also set it to show the 'Track Name' rather than the 'Filename'. The next file you play after 3 seconds it will pop up with the info/artwork :)
Something like this;
AlbumArt.jpg
AlbumArt.jpg (60.34 KiB) Viewed 8519 times

Note that until you play a file, it shows the filename, not the track name. A solution to this is when you set the renaming rules in 'Bliss' have it name the filenames as the track name.

I think that's about it.

For those looking for the free route, I have used Mp3tag in the past, it is Windows only (sorry Mac/Linux users). It does most if not all of what 'Bliss' does, but it's not quite so intuitive or automated. But using the guide above as to what works you should be able to work it out using this as well. If someone wants to do a more detailed guide for Mp3tag please to PM it to me and I'll add it here for others to use :)

Hope this helps a few of you!
Audi S1 Sportback (sold)
Vegas Yellow Brilliant Black Contrast Roof, 18" S Matt Black Alloys, Super Sports Seats, Yellow Backrest Covers/Contrast Stitching
Packages;
Quattro Exterior/Interior, Tech, High Gloss Black, Storage/Luggage
Includes; Quattro Roof Spoiler and Side Logo, Red Headlight Trim and Brake Calipers with S1 Logo, Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel, Alloy Air Vent Sleeves with Red rings, HDD Sat Nav MMI with AMI
Options;
Advanced Key, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, BOSE Sound System, Cruise Control, Door Mirrors - Heated and Folding, Front Centre Armrest, Hill Hold Assist, Mobile Prep High - with Audi Connect, PDC - Front and Rear, Privacy Glass, Rear Floor Mats
Post delivery mods;
Wrap lower tailgate in black
DTUK FSR Tuning and Pedal boxes (284bhp/445Nm)
Reversing Camera
Other cars;
Audi RS3
Hyundia i10 Premium SE
Audi SQ5 (sold)

VCDS USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM for coding/mods in Dorset for beer/money :roll:
josedebardi
Site Admin

Advertisement

Re: Album Artwork on SD Card in MMI

Postby DTYME83 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:32 am

The album art just needs to be a jpeg file no bigger than 600x600 as the MMi system via SD card has an issue reading PNG files as they are too large.
DTYME83
(Audi S1) 3 Door Daytona Grey
(Alcantara Flat Bottom Steering Wheel)
(Cobra Nogaro Bucket seats)
(KW Variant 3 (with clubsport springs))
(EMP full custom exhaust system)
(Sachs clutch Sintered)
(Custom Intercooler)
(Custom Oil Cooler)
(Tarox Sports Compact Brake Kit)
(BC Forged HC-040)
(Custom Stage 3 remap 505BHP)
(APR Air intake)
(APR turbo muffler delete)
(Custom Radiator)
(Custom rear Driveshafts)
(Defi turbo boost gauge)
(Defi oil temp gauge)
(Defi water temp gauge)
(Defi oil pressure gauge)
(Golf R Turbo (Hybrid Turbo "Turbo Technics"))
(Golf R injectors)
(Autotech HPFP)
(Powerflex Bushes)
(GFB DV+)
(Engine rebuild Built by Ecotune)
(Mods in progress)
(Engine & Gearbox Mounts)
DTYME83
A1F Major Contributor

Postby josedebardi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:41 am

DTYME83 wrote:The album art just needs to be a jpeg file no bigger than 600x600 as the MMi system via SD card has an issue reading PNG files as they are too large.
DTYME83

Read the embedded link above. It's 500x500 or 800x800 depending on the MMI you have. But in essence yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audi S1 Sportback (sold)
Vegas Yellow Brilliant Black Contrast Roof, 18" S Matt Black Alloys, Super Sports Seats, Yellow Backrest Covers/Contrast Stitching
Packages;
Includes; Quattro Roof Spoiler and Side Logo, Red Headlight Trim and Brake Calipers with S1 Logo, Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel, Alloy Air Vent Sleeves with Red rings, HDD Sat Nav MMI with AMI
Options;
Advanced Key, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, BOSE Sound System, Cruise Control, Door Mirrors - Heated and Folding, Front Centre Armrest, Hill Hold Assist, Mobile Prep High - with Audi Connect, PDC - Front and Rear, Privacy Glass, Rear Floor Mats
Post delivery mods;
Reversing Camera
Other cars;
Audi RS3
Hyundia i10 Premium SE
Audi SQ5 (sold)

josedebardi
Site Admin

Postby DTYME83 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:51 am

josedebardi wrote:
DTYME83 wrote:The album art just needs to be a jpeg file no bigger than 600x600 as the MMi system via SD card has an issue reading PNG files as they are too large.
DTYME83

Read the embedded link above. It's 500x500 or 800x800 depending on the MMI you have. But in essence yes.

I did read the the thread however PNG files are still quite large files which was the only point I was making and that jpegs are smaller files, lets not fall out about this. :-)
DTYMe83
(Audi S1) 3 Door Daytona Grey
(Alcantara Flat Bottom Steering Wheel)
(Cobra Nogaro Bucket seats)
(KW Variant 3 (with clubsport springs))
(EMP full custom exhaust system)
(Sachs clutch Sintered)
(Custom Intercooler)
(Custom Oil Cooler)
(Tarox Sports Compact Brake Kit)
(BC Forged HC-040)
(Custom Stage 3 remap 505BHP)
(APR Air intake)
(APR turbo muffler delete)
(Custom Radiator)
(Custom rear Driveshafts)
(Defi turbo boost gauge)
(Defi oil temp gauge)
(Defi water temp gauge)
(Defi oil pressure gauge)
(Golf R Turbo (Hybrid Turbo "Turbo Technics"))
(Golf R injectors)
(Autotech HPFP)
(Powerflex Bushes)
(GFB DV+)
(Engine rebuild Built by Ecotune)
(Mods in progress)
(Engine & Gearbox Mounts)
DTYME83
A1F Major Contributor

Postby josedebardi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:57 am

Not falling out, just pointing out the correct sizes. And PNG will work so long as it fits the size/Kb restrictions. But your point that it is easier to achieve with JPG is valid and useful, thank you.

Audi S1 Sportback (sold)
Packages;
Options;
Post delivery mods;
Reversing Camera
Other cars;
Audi RS3
Hyundia i10 Premium SE
Audi SQ5 (sold)

josedebardi
Site Admin

Postby weasley » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:30 pm

I must have lucked in then, because all I did was convert to MP3 in iTunes (as described in the first part of your instructions), load onto the SD card and off I went - all album art is present and correct (as supplied through iTunes).
2013 Sportback 1.4TFSi (now gone)

weasley
A1F Major Contributor

Postby coupeman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:11 pm

I use one of Dougs Applescripts to re embed then just transfer to SD card which works perfectly. Maybe Windows is different?
140 CoD Sport with DTUK Box (170ish) 3 door
Xenons, BOSE, Advanced Key, Hill Hold, High Beam Assist, Black roof lining, LED Pack, Comfort Pack, Storage Pack, Heated Seats, Tech Pack, Dark Glass.
Amalfi White with Daytona Roof. 17" Alloys, 10mm spacers all round.
Quattro Alloy Gear Stick. Centre console in Mono Pur, S1 Window and Mirror switches.
VCDS Mods. 5 indicator, Rear LED DRLS, Passenger Mirror Tilt, Beep on Lock/Unlock, Needle Sweep, Rear parking sensor display. Full led conversion for all lights, front and rear indicators and reversing lights, plus glove box.
coupeman
A1F Major Contributor

Postby josedebardi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 pm

There are many ways, but so many people ask I thought I'd post a solution. Send me the details of the script coupeman and I'll add it as another option.

Audi S1 Sportback (sold)
Packages;
Options;
Post delivery mods;
Reversing Camera
Other cars;
Audi RS3
Hyundia i10 Premium SE
Audi SQ5 (sold)

josedebardi
Site Admin

Postby mrfaize » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:53 pm

Deleted
Last edited by mrfaize on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrfaize
A1F Major Contributor

Postby James Walker » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:30 pm

coupeman wrote:I use one of Dougs Applescripts to re embed then just transfer to SD card which works perfectly. Maybe Windows is different?

Would also appreciate a copy of this AppleScript if possible

Thanks
James Walker
A1F Regular

Next

Return to Audi A1 How Too's