Center halogen interior lighting with that LED package

Re: Center halogen interior lighting with that LED package

Postby josedebardi » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Puckos wrote:Moderators,

Can this move to the DIY section?

Thanks

Done :)
Audi S1 Sportback (sold)
Vegas Yellow Brilliant Black Contrast Roof, 18" S Matt Black Alloys, Super Sports Seats, Yellow Backrest Covers/Contrast Stitching
Packages;
Quattro Exterior/Interior, Tech, High Gloss Black, Storage/Luggage
Includes; Quattro Roof Spoiler and Side Logo, Red Headlight Trim and Brake Calipers with S1 Logo, Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel, Alloy Air Vent Sleeves with Red rings, HDD Sat Nav MMI with AMI
Options;
Advanced Key, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, BOSE Sound System, Cruise Control, Door Mirrors - Heated and Folding, Front Centre Armrest, Hill Hold Assist, Mobile Prep High - with Audi Connect, PDC - Front and Rear, Privacy Glass, Rear Floor Mats
Post delivery mods;
Wrap lower tailgate in black
DTUK FSR Tuning and Pedal boxes (284bhp/445Nm)
Reversing Camera
Other cars;
Audi RS3
Hyundia i10 Premium SE
Audi SQ5 (sold)

VCDS USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM for coding/mods in Dorset for beer/money :roll:
josedebardi
Site Admin

Advertisement

Postby iancropper » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:51 pm

Completed and working fine - ...............until I start the engine then all the switched on lights, front and back flicker. Did you have this problem? :(
iancropper
A1F Newbee

Postby Arclight » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:05 am

Hi, newbie on here, having spotted this thread last year.
I just completed this mod on my A3 8V, and also get the flickering only when the engine is running, as per the above post.

Did anyone ever get this or get an answer to the problem please?

Thanks in advance,

A
Arclight
A1F Newbee

Postby Arclight » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:27 pm

Hi, Newbie on this forum.

I did this mod on my A3 8V Sportback and it worked well until I started the engine, then the lights started flickering, as per the above post.

Did anyone else get this and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance,.

Arclight.
Arclight
A1F Newbee

Postby Arclight » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:17 pm

I have done this mod myself, on my A3 8V, as per the thread, and have suffered the same problem as the above poster, ie the flickering when the engine is running.

Anyone have any idea how to sort this?

Does it need some recoding or something?

Cheers,

Arclight
Arclight
A1F Newbee

Postby asmetana » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:30 am

I just did this upgrade on my 2015 A3 (8V) US-spec sedan. I also have the issue with the flickering map/dome lights while the engine is running. Before doing the installation I took measurements of all the pins in the harness engine running, off, doors open, doors closed. If you're at all familiar with charging systems, you already know that you'll see slightly more than 12 volts on a charged battery and ~14 volts with the car running and all things normal. Since the flickering happens when the car is running and the alternator is [correctly] producing more than about 13.5 volts, the LED assembly clearly is looking for 12 volts and is responding to the over-voltage by flickering. Not sure if this has ramifications or not.

So, to correct it I see one of two possibilities: re-pin the power lead for the lights to something that produces strictly 12 volts, car running or not (and I don't know if that exists in the car), or install a voltage regulator of some sort in-line that will produce a consistent 12 or so volts. I've used LEDs in lots of automotive/RV environments with no adverse results based on 12 versus 14 volts so I think it's most likely the design of the light fixture assembly's internal electronics. I'm going to research this some more. I'll probably try to source an inexpensive 12 volt regulator of some sort and tuck it up above the light.
asmetana
A1F Newbee

Postby asmetana » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:15 am

For anyone interested, I posted my fix to another forum the flickering by adding a single $1.49 1,000 microFarad capacitor from the US-based Radio Shack. You can buy the capacitor on Amazon or from most any electronics parts store or if you're game, disassemble most any old computer or stereo gear and salvage a comparable capacitor from one of those.

It's post #21. Please keep in mind that this was for a 2015 A3 8V US-spec car that DOES NOT have the ILP but I upgraded the map/dome light to have it but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be the same in the A1 or others if you're experiencing these symptoms. Disclaimers apply, it helps to have some familiarity with basic electronics, soldering, etc., but if you're reading this, you probably already do, I take no responsibility for what happens if not done correctly, and it could potentially be warranty voiding (but that would be quite a stretch). YMMV

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/vc ... st-2649250
asmetana
A1F Newbee

Postby VAGGAL » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:07 pm

hello, i saw the conversation and i am interested to find out the pictures that you attached because i can not opened. i have audi A3 8v with the same interior lights.thank you very much and i am looking forward to sent me the pictures!
VAGGAL
A1F Newbee

Postby alexone85 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:36 am

photos

alexone85
A1F Regular

Previous

Return to Audi A1 How Too's