Merc B Class B200 CDI Sport MY2013

Discuss other models in the Audi range, or other Marques

Merc B Class B200 CDI Sport MY2013

Postby Pulp84 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:52 pm

Took my company Merc in today to have a few bits done under warrenty and was given the new 2013 MY B-Class as courtesy car. I currently have a A-class as company car (I didn't choose it) and it needs to be replaced soon so was quite pleased to get this to try it. Thought I'd do a little write up as seem a lot of people are interested in it and much of what's on it is going to be in the next A Class.

First off have to say someone has pulled their figure out at Mercedes. This is a very nice car. Any one that has driven the recent A / B Classes will know they were a bit rubbish with its sandwich floor and crap handling. You would not believe the improvement made with this car. Good handling, feel to the steering and comfortable ride (even on 18"s). Previous B-Class wallowed round bends and bounced over bumps. This is much tighter and actually quite fun to drive!

Engine in car I had was 1.8ltr diesel with 136 bhp. Not bad engine, bit gruff, however had nice spread of torque. It did feel a bit under powered at times and 136 bhp is pretty pants compared to other companies diesel outputs. Did 100 miles today and averaged 61mpg. Not bad for car with 200 miles on clock. Gearbox was a DSG system. Not as good as VW system where the Merc has the gear lever is on the steering column (initially hard to use, but get used to it in end). Seemed to jump around the gears a fair bit and the paddle shift had a mind of its own. Sometimes it was adamant that the gear I was in was the best and would not let me "override" it! Otherwise nice and smooth.

Cabin is now a very nice place to sit and much more modern than previous car. Sport seats are very supportive and with slightly high up driving position gives a good overall view of road. Centre of console is dominated by a large "IPad" style colour screen which shows phone / radio functions (and not much else). Is version of the Mercedes COMAND system which compared to Audi MMI for instance is clunky and old fashioned. Feels like they are trying to copy Audi / BMW and its abit of a let down. Other car functions are accessed through steering wheel and swish looking screen in instrument cluster. Also has really cool air vents borrowed from new SLK which does add abit of class with black head lining.

Outside the car it isn't a bad looker. Has nice lines to it and although guess you could argue its a "mini" MPV it does look quite sporty. Parked it next door to a colleagues 1 Series and it's the same length (although it has much more space inside!) amd approx 30cm higher. The boot was massive, excellent for families. Has really nice polished black grill inserts and on doors which suit the car well. Bi colour alloys were also really nice and fitted in well with the silver paint and black styling. Merc now fit a mixture of the old style LED DRL's on bottom of grill and A1 style LED beams in the headlight cluster. Bit odd how they do it as the LED beams only seem to work when its unlocked (I thought it should be other way around) with the old style LED's are on all the time while driving.

Overall I was really impressed with this car and it will be going on my company car "wish list" with the BMW 1 and 3 series (120d / 320d) and Golf GTD. Unfortunately can't have Audi through my company as would really want new A3!

Anyways you get all I've mentioned plus the below spec for £25,000!!! Believe me that's a lot of car for the money with the spec given!!

Standard spec:
- LED DRL's (front and rear)
- Xenons
- 5 inch colour display with controller pad
- leather Multi function steering wheel
- Reversing camera
- Privacy glass
- Auto wipers / lights
- Attention assist (notices if you are losing concentration and suggests you should stop for a break)
- Collision prevention assist (warns you if you are too close in car in front and prepares car for maximum breaking to avoid rear end shunts).
- 18" Bi-colour alloys
- Electronic hand break.

Options added to car:
- leather
- 7 speed Double clutch gearbox with paddles.
- USB / IPod connection.
A1 185 Black Edition (sadly gone - not forgotten)

Now driving - S3 Sportback (wow....just wow!)
Pulp84
A1F Major Contributor

Advertisement

Return to Other Marques (inc' other Audi!)