Not too sure, it was either 8k or 10k
370PS MK7 Golf R | 5dr | Pure White | Mobius Dashcams's | Private Plate
2.0 TDI Black Edition | Glacier White Metallic | Bose | 5yr Service Plan
1.6 TDI S-Line | Amalfi White | Xenons | Comfort Pack | 5yr Service Plan
Mojito
A1F Resident

Re: Audi S3 vs Golf R

Postby Mojito » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:05 pm

Agree that the R has a kind of 'just another Golf' look and i would prefer the S3, but its an extra £1000 deposit and £1200 over the term, so an extra £2200 over the two year term.

Lovely car the S3 though!
370PS MK7 Golf R | 5dr | Pure White | Mobius Dashcams's | Private Plate
2.0 TDI Black Edition | Glacier White Metallic | Bose | 5yr Service Plan
1.6 TDI S-Line | Amalfi White | Xenons | Comfort Pack | 5yr Service Plan
Mojito
A1F Resident

Postby Pulp84 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:25 pm

Mojito wrote:Agree that the R has a kind of 'just another Golf' look and i would prefer the S3, but its an extra £1000 deposit and £1200 over the term, so an extra £2200 over the two year term.

Lovely car the S3 though!

Oh yes! - you are spot on with that comment my friend!
A1 185 Black Edition (sadly gone - not forgotten)

Now driving - S3 Sportback (wow....just wow!)
Pulp84
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Jenny19 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 pm

The R does look a bit plain from the front, but the rear end of it is awesome! I like that the golf comes with a lot more tech as standard too.
Audi Bristol looked down their noses at me but I've had pretty good service from VW Swindon. All has been confirmed and I have ordered a Golf R! Yay!
Used to Own:
1.4 Sport TFSI Amplified Red
5 year warranty, 5 year service pack, 17” ‘5-arm’ design bi-colour alloys, black headlining, climate control, heated front seats, LED interior, black roof line, Xenons, cruise control, folding and heated door mirrors, hill hold assist, rain and light sensors, flat tyre warning indicator, delete rear badges, technology pack, front centre armrest, tinted windows.
Now own:
Mk7 Golf R 3 door DSG in Lapiz blue, 19" Pretoria Alloys, HDD sat nav, keyless entry
Jenny19
A1F Resident

Postby little wong » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:51 am

I think it's swings and roundabouts to whether a R or S3 is better spec'd. The lack of leather is the huge difference. It is a rip of in the golf.

I couldn't resist and have ordered the super sports seats in mine
little wong
A1F Regular

Postby Jenny19 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:07 am

Seats don't bother me, I'd rather soft alcantara over leather stuck to my ass! But if you're dead set on leather then the s3 is probably the better option.
The whole R vs S3 is like PC vs Mac, it will go on forever lol
Used to Own:
1.4 Sport TFSI Amplified Red
5 year warranty, 5 year service pack, 17” ‘5-arm’ design bi-colour alloys, black headlining, climate control, heated front seats, LED interior, black roof line, Xenons, cruise control, folding and heated door mirrors, hill hold assist, rain and light sensors, flat tyre warning indicator, delete rear badges, technology pack, front centre armrest, tinted windows.
Now own:
Mk7 Golf R 3 door DSG in Lapiz blue, 19" Pretoria Alloys, HDD sat nav, keyless entry
Jenny19
A1F Resident

Postby josedebardi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:13 am

Except Mac is better ;)
Audi S1 Sportback (sold)
Vegas Yellow Brilliant Black Contrast Roof, 18" S Matt Black Alloys, Super Sports Seats, Yellow Backrest Covers/Contrast Stitching
Packages;
Quattro Exterior/Interior, Tech, High Gloss Black, Storage/Luggage
Includes; Quattro Roof Spoiler and Side Logo, Red Headlight Trim and Brake Calipers with S1 Logo, Flat Bottomed Steering Wheel, Alloy Air Vent Sleeves with Red rings, HDD Sat Nav MMI with AMI
Options;
Advanced Key, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, BOSE Sound System, Cruise Control, Door Mirrors - Heated and Folding, Front Centre Armrest, Hill Hold Assist, Mobile Prep High - with Audi Connect, PDC - Front and Rear, Privacy Glass, Rear Floor Mats
Post delivery mods;
Wrap lower tailgate in black
DTUK FSR Tuning and Pedal boxes (284bhp/445Nm)
Reversing Camera
Other cars;
Audi RS3
Hyundia i10 Premium SE
Audi SQ5 (sold)

VCDS USB-HEX+CAN Owner - PM for coding/mods in Dorset for beer/money :roll:
josedebardi
Site Admin

Postby p3asa » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:31 am

Both Audi S3 and Golf R from the front look like normal run of the mill variants of that range.
Its only folk that are interested in cars that would be able to spot they were different if they weren't parked next to one of its cooking variety.

The S3 has a bit more chrome and the subtlest difference in its front bumper.
The R bumper is a bit more noticeable from its lower siblings as it slopes out the way, the opposite to the normal golf.

But is that not both their intentions? To be a wolf in a sheep's clothing?

Its not until you come to the back of either, or rather as they fly past you :o that you notice the more in your face 4 exhausts?

Both great cars but everything has to be paid for in the Audi even the simplest of things. I compiled a very basic list a few months back when I was deciding between various cars.

Below is standard in the Golf which has to be paid for in the Audi.
Its a not a full list by any means its just stuff I would have wanted on my next car. A lot of it is basic stuff as well.

Privacy Glass
Folding mirrors
Light / rain sensor
Adaptive headlights
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Armrest at rear that allows access to boot
Parking sensors front and rear
Cruise control / Adaptive Cruise

Also the Golf has the Automatic Post-Collision Braking System which in itself works great.
If you spec the DSG and put it into adaptive cruise it will literally drive you to your destination, braking and accelerating with no driver input apart from if the car becomes stationary it needs a blip on the accelerator to get it going again.

I know the S3 gets leather but for me half leather would be ideal but I'd pay not to have the full leather.
p3asa
A1F Resident

Postby little wong » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Jenny19 wrote:Seats don't bother me, I'd rather soft alcantara over leather stuck to my ass! But if you're dead set on leather then the s3 is probably the better option.
The whole R vs S3 is like PC vs Mac, it will go on forever lol

I'm dead set on a S3 because I'm a badge snob :P
I did weigh up both but things like lack of speaker upgrade and need to go to the 19s as the standard alloys are not to my taste...

Now where people think stuff like parking sensors , auto dimming mirrors are standard on the golf, the golf omits huge must haves giving the requirement for the winter pack!

As I mentioned before it's swings and roundabouts.
little wong
A1F Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Other Marques (inc' other Audi!)