Audi S3 vs Golf R

Discuss other models in the Audi range, or other Marques

Re: Audi S3 vs Golf R

Postby Kaiser Soze » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:39 pm

I was looking an an R32 but they been replaced with the R and I think it was the crap cloth interior that stopped me buying it and it was the same with the Polo GTI.
A1 1.4 TFSI S Line • Misano Red • 18" Twin 7's • LED Interior Light Pack
VCDS Modifications • Needle Swoosh • Fog Light Turning • Hill Hold Assist • Seat Belt Tone Silenced • (Failed) Dip To Reverse

Other Modifications • Plastidip Front Grill (Matt Black) • Full Front HID Light Upgrade inc. DRL's and Number Plate Lights

My Bulb Replacement Thread
Kaiser Soze
A1F Resident

Advertisement

Postby Scottie_N » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Jenny19 wrote:Well take it, and go for a road trip!

Sounds like a decent idea 8-)
Stage 2 A1 S Line - 2013 Reg - Brilliant black, Black styling pack, Privacy glass, Connectivity pack
Circa 180bhp

Modifications:
AirRex front struts
Firestone rear bags & AirRex rear struts
AirRex Digital Air System Management
VMaxx Adjustable drop links
Audi 80/90 top mounts, bearings
Hubcentric spacers - 20mm rear, 15mm front
Wheels Refurbed gloss black
Stage 2 remapping by Motech Performance
Carbonspeed enclosed induction kit
Miltek turbo-back non-resonated exhaust
Forge Blow Off Valve
Forge Washer Cover
Red AMI Lead
dewipered, debadged, deeverythinged
Gloss black audi emblems
Scottie_N
A1F Major Contributor

Postby SPIKE » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:17 pm

The Golf R is a nicer looking car, but the Audi has a beautiful interior.

The Golf is also the ranger topper, where as the A3 will soon have the RS3 as it's ranger topper - get the S3, and you will get pissed off each time you see an RS3!!

Decisions, decisions.......
S1 Sportback - Misano Red & Black Contrast Roof
Quattro Exterior Pack - Quattro Interior Pack - Comfort Pack - Connectivity Pack - Black Styling Pack - Front Armrest - Folding Mirrors - Privacy Glass - Heated Seats - BOSE Sound System - Aluminium Gear Knob - Rear Carpet Mats

Daily: A3 8V 2.0tdi S-Line Saloon in Daytona Grey
SPIKE
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Spider » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:23 pm

I'd go for the R every time
2.0 tdi black edition
Brilliant black
Spider
A1F Resident

Postby Lofty » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:51 pm

I think I prefer the S3. I don't see the £4k difference , the S3 has leather as standard so you have to add £1700 to the VW, both have Xenon, (full LED headlights an option on the S3) and 18" alloys.
Misano Audi A1 1.4 S-Line ( now gone)
Jaguar F-Type Coupe V6S
Golf R
Lofty
A1F Major Contributor

Postby GRE57Y » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:41 pm

I'm facing this little dilemma too!

Although, I'm swaying towards the S3 so far... Has anyone seen the new S3 with Black Styling Kit added?

Also keen to hear if anyone can recommend a Dealership in South East that isn't Essex Audi.
1.4TFSI S-Tronic | Black Edition - Phantom Black
GRE57Y
A1F Major Contributor

Postby namster » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:24 pm

S3 saloon wins for me. Inside and out. it's more than a badge it is everytime you step into the golf it will be just that inside and out. It is not badge snobbery, just how it is same applies to choosing a merc or a jag

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
62 Plate-SportBack S-tronic S-Line, Daytona Grey, Week 34 Build, Extras: SD-Nav, Xenons, Armrest, Folding Mirrors
namster
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Pulp84 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:54 pm

Interesting thread.....

Having this very dilemma myself. For me the S3 wins it. Mainly for its subtle looks, superior interior quality and LED headlights. Looked at BMW 135i M as well but it just isn't for me. Audi Quattro products are just that bit more cool....

S3 discounts from any of my local dealers (South West) is just not on the cards. Yes I can go to a broker but it is hassle considering the Drive The Deal dealer is in Kings Lynn and quoting end April / May 14 delivery.

I've already been quoted £1100 off a Golf R from a localish dealer which in itself is a good discount. Delivery for March 14 also. I will just add the price difference (with out discount on the R) actually makes little difference compared to S3 on finance payments. The ballon being lower on the R. £35,000 for S3, £33,700 for the R in the specs I would choose. Not so sure now which one is the bargain and which is expensive!

Due to longish wait for an S3 and not being able go get the deal I want, have decided to let the initial hype die down, pay a few more payments on the 185 and look again in the summer 2014.

The Audi Sport site ( http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/244-new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/ ) has plenty of info and pics of S3's that have now been delivered and they look very very nice! Couple on there with the black pack.

Oh and just to muddy the waters - new Golf GTI's are knocking around with a £3,000 discount which makes one with the Performance Pack very affordable!
A1 185 Black Edition (sadly gone - not forgotten)

Now driving - S3 Sportback (wow....just wow!)
Pulp84
A1F Major Contributor

Postby GRE57Y » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:11 am

Sounds like you have a good taste in cars and more patience than myself...
I've been offered an S3 off the forecourt as standard (manual) with Sat Nav thrown in- need to see if they can do anything more about the deposit afrom their contribution.

I don't think I would get the same satisfaction from the Golf R, I'd be viewing it as the S3's baby brother.

What are people's experiences like with Brokers?
1.4TFSI S-Tronic | Black Edition - Phantom Black
GRE57Y
A1F Major Contributor

Postby TDI-line » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:29 am

namster wrote:S3 saloon wins for me. Inside and out. it's more than a badge it is everytime you step into the golf it will be just that inside and out. It is not badge snobbery, just how it is same applies to choosing a merc or a jag

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

And this is the only S3 that comes with Magnetic ride and 19" wheels as standard, but of course you pay another £2K over a sportback S3.

I'd probably choose the S3 sportback, performance and handling are going to be so similiar with the S3 and the R, but VW cannot compete with an Audi interior, the fit and finish are 1st class, and when the MMI screen raises out of the dash each time you start up, puts a little smile on your face, of course the golf's MMI just screen sits there, collecting dust... :mrgreen:
2013 AUDI A3 S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
TDI-line
A1F Major Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Other Marques (inc' other Audi!)