Audi A1 Forum banner

Audi S3 vs Golf R

82K views 444 replies 24 participants last post by  Mojito 
#1 ·
So the new Golf R goes on sale today and I've been having a look at both the Golf R and the Audi S3, they both have the 300ps 2.0 petrol injected engine, a newly designed version of the GTI engine but different bodies. The golf R does 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and the S3 does it in 4.8 seconds comparing the DSG boxes. Both cars put out 380nm of torque, or 280 lb/ft. They both produce 40.9mpg supposedly, but I wouldn't trust this as far as I could throw it, not coming from Audi! 40mpg is probably more like 20mpg! But then again, you wouldn't be buying a performance hatch for the economy!
The Audi is slightly lighter than the VW, 1415kg vs 1495kg in the VW, which will probably help to explain the 0.1 second difference in the 0-60 times.
They both have their own versions of four wheel drive, to assist with the handling of the car. The VW uses 4MOTION and the S3 uses the Audi Quattro system.
The golf R seems to come with more as standard, such as cruise control and Xenons, but then the S3 has Audi magnetic ride which continually adapts the suspension damping to result in a better handling car as well as a more comfortable ride (supposedly!)
I specced two up to a similar (ish) standard and the golf R was £4000 cheaper than the S3! But are the 4 rings worth £4k more...?
The on the road prices of a DSG 3 door Golf R is £31315 and £33640 in the S3.
Personally I am swaying slightly towards the Golf... What does everybody else think?
So if anybody would like to make my Christmas and buy me one of these, I will reward you with a lifetime of cakes! :mrgreen:

See less See more
#3 ·
Get the Golf JenJen but I demand that you take me out in it :)

#4 ·
Scottie_N said:
I still havent seen your new bad man a1!
I cant afford a Golf R, but I will swap my A1 for it plus cakes! :D
Might go and test drive one when they have one in, although the VW staff in Bristol piss me off...

#5 ·
Jenny19 said:
Scottie_N said:
I still havent seen your new bad man a1!
I cant afford a Golf R, but I will swap my A1 for it plus cakes! :D
Might go and test drive one when they have one in, although the VW staff in Bristol piss me off...
You can see it over christmas if you want, I have like 2 weeks off and not much to do :)

#6 ·
I'm going to Portugal :D let me know if you are round my way though!

#7 ·
Jenny19 said:
Psssh you're always on holiday :(

#8 ·
Scottie_N said:
Jenny19 said:
Psssh you're always on holiday :(
Twice in one year!

#9 ·
Once for me, I still have 3 weeks of holiday left to take for this year... :/

#10 ·
Well take it, and go for a road trip!

#11 ·
I was looking an an R32 but they been replaced with the R and I think it was the crap cloth interior that stopped me buying it and it was the same with the Polo GTI.

#12 ·
Jenny19 said:
Well take it, and go for a road trip!
Sounds like a decent idea :cool:

#13 ·
The Golf R is a nicer looking car, but the Audi has a beautiful interior.

The Golf is also the ranger topper, where as the A3 will soon have the RS3 as it's ranger topper - get the S3, and you will get pissed off each time you see an RS3!!

Decisions, decisions.......

#15 ·
I think I prefer the S3. I don't see the £4k difference , the S3 has leather as standard so you have to add £1700 to the VW, both have Xenon, (full LED headlights an option on the S3) and 18" alloys.

#16 ·
I'm facing this little dilemma too!

Although, I'm swaying towards the S3 so far... Has anyone seen the new S3 with Black Styling Kit added?

Also keen to hear if anyone can recommend a Dealership in South East that isn't Essex Audi.

#17 ·
S3 saloon wins for me. Inside and out. it's more than a badge it is everytime you step into the golf it will be just that inside and out. It is not badge snobbery, just how it is same applies to choosing a merc or a jag

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Interesting thread.....

Having this very dilemma myself. For me the S3 wins it. Mainly for its subtle looks, superior interior quality and LED headlights. Looked at BMW 135i M as well but it just isn't for me. Audi Quattro products are just that bit more cool....

S3 discounts from any of my local dealers (South West) is just not on the cards. Yes I can go to a broker but it is hassle considering the Drive The Deal dealer is in Kings Lynn and quoting end April / May 14 delivery.

I've already been quoted £1100 off a Golf R from a localish dealer which in itself is a good discount. Delivery for March 14 also. I will just add the price difference (with out discount on the R) actually makes little difference compared to S3 on finance payments. The ballon being lower on the R. £35,000 for S3, £33,700 for the R in the specs I would choose. Not so sure now which one is the bargain and which is expensive!

Due to longish wait for an S3 and not being able go get the deal I want, have decided to let the initial hype die down, pay a few more payments on the 185 and look again in the summer 2014.

The Audi Sport site ( http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/244-new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/ ) has plenty of info and pics of S3's that have now been delivered and they look very very nice! Couple on there with the black pack.

Oh and just to muddy the waters - new Golf GTI's are knocking around with a £3,000 discount which makes one with the Performance Pack very affordable!

#19 ·
Sounds like you have a good taste in cars and more patience than myself...
I've been offered an S3 off the forecourt as standard (manual) with Sat Nav thrown in- need to see if they can do anything more about the deposit afrom their contribution.

I don't think I would get the same satisfaction from the Golf R, I'd be viewing it as the S3's baby brother.

What are people's experiences like with Brokers?

#20 ·
namster said:
S3 saloon wins for me. Inside and out. it's more than a badge it is everytime you step into the golf it will be just that inside and out. It is not badge snobbery, just how it is same applies to choosing a merc or a jag

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
And this is the only S3 that comes with Magnetic ride and 19" wheels as standard, but of course you pay another £2K over a sportback S3.

I'd probably choose the S3 sportback, performance and handling are going to be so similiar with the S3 and the R, but VW cannot compete with an Audi interior, the fit and finish are 1st class, and when the MMI screen raises out of the dash each time you start up, puts a little smile on your face, of course the golf's MMI just screen sits there, collecting dust... :mrgreen:

#21 ·
What do the residuals look like? I'd have thought the Audi would be better therefore narrowing the gap on price. I'd take the S3 out of them both but much prefer the look of the saloon but again it's extra cost. I'd still have an M135i over any of them though.

Just a warning on waiting times, a workmate ordered an S3 sportback in July from Sheffield Audi. He's being told mid March for delivery lol. Complete joke really!

#22 ·
Golf R residuals are £16100 for 5 door with DSG. S3 Sportback S tronic is £17625. Both based on 36 months with £4500 deposit.

So not factoring in discounts they both come in around £430 a month.

The 135i is an interesting car. Its same price as S3 for similiar spec but has much bigger discounts available. Got offered £4000 off without trying. 5.9% finance too. But interestingly due to its poor balloon payment (approx £14500) it was much more expensive to finance than the S3. It needed a £7300 deposit :eek: to get repayments down to the same level as the S3 with no discount applied. With discount the 135i was slightly cheaper to finance.

The 135i I found had an inferior gearbox, poor cabin quality, was cramped and dog ugly to look at! It does make a nice noise but it is mostly fake. You can adjust the symphosied engine sound through the car speakers, turned down the 135i is not very loud. The S3 does sound great and makes fantastic up change noises too. Its amplified in the S3 but only by a flap in the bulkhead. I test drove a 135i about a month ago on some greasy roads and found it wallowed a fair bit and was not very sure footed. It's just not as polished in comparison to the S3 and I would have thought it would fall down against the R too in this regard.

Regarding build slots for the S3, some dealers have slots that will take 3/4 months and some have slots at 6 months. Depends on the size of the dealership. Some early adopters have been caught out with long waits where as some people have ordered later and got theirs early. Just doesn't make sense!

The 135i however takes 3 weeks to build. Either BMW have too much build capacity or they just are not that popular.....

#24 ·
#25 ·
What about a Merc A45 AMG? Not sure on what PCP deals or discounts are available though.

#26 ·
It seems the general opinion is to get the S3. The saloon is an interesting option...a more of a gentleman's fast car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.