Switch to full site
Discuss other models in the Audi range, or other Marques
Post a reply

A3 Clutch question....

Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:14 pm

My wife's 2012 A3 1.4TFSI with 38k miles has just been in for a service at the local Audi dealer and they have recommended a new clutch as the bite point is quite high and showing signs of wear. They have also said that as a goodwill gesture they would waive the regular £800 plus price and contribute the labour so we would pay just the £180 (for the parts I guess).

What's really puzzling me about this are two things:
1) A new clutch after 3 years / 38k miles - really?? I do not believe that she drives in a way that would cause undue wear on the clutch - okay, the 17 mile trip to work is usually 5-10 miles of stop start traffic but nothing out of the ordinary. She certainly doesn't ride the clutch.
2) why is the dealer being so 'generous' is there a hidden problem here with the car that they're not letting on about? Are they just angling for more work (but there again what's in it for them if they're discounting the work so much?)

Has anyone had a similar experience and how long do you expect an A3 1.4 petrol clutch to last - it's not exactly dealing with a tonne of power (Even an Elise I have a while back did more than that on it's first clutch).

Any advice appreciated.
Duncan

Re: A3 Clutch question....

Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Might be worth asking on Audi sport is this the current shape A3 ?

Re: A3 Clutch question....

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:53 pm

I had an A3 1.8 TFSI 2012 similar mileage with "bite point" problems, I've been driving for 40 years AND defiantly don't ride the clutch, decided to cut my losses and quickly traded it if for my current A1
Post a reply