Vauxhall dealer - a reluctant interaction

Discuss other models in the Audi range, or other Marques

Vauxhall dealer - a reluctant interaction

Postby Doodlebug » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:27 pm

My lad's Corsa diesel requires a diagnostic check as a 'spanner light' appears on the dash shortly after being turned on.
I contacted my local Vauxhall dealer to enquire about a check whilst I wait....
Their response is that I can wait but they don't know how long the check will take.
At the risk of being a bit thick, I assumed they simply had to connect it to their diagnostic equipment and within minutes it should identify the cause. Isn't that the point of this technology?
Their charge for this 'service' is £60. But I get a free valet and wash?
They seem unable to understand that someone wanting to wait for essential work isn't the same as wanting to wait for a valet, the charge for which they've obviously hidden in the overall cost.
This is yet another reason why I avoid this dealership whenever possible.... They once overfilled the sump of my old car during a service with an extra 2 litres of oil.
Last edited by Doodlebug on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doodlebug
A1F Major Contributor

Advertisement

Re: Vauxhall dealer - a reluctant intercation

Postby Dave1501 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:31 pm

I thought the spanner indicates that a service is due?....
2011 | 1.6 Tdi S Line | Phantom Black Pearl | Contrasting Roof Line in Ice Silver | Technology Pack | Xenon Plus | Front Centre Armrest | Auto Rain & Light Sensors | Heated Mirrors | Cruise Control | 5 Year Variable Service Plan |
Dave1501
A1F Major Contributor

Re: Vauxhall dealer - a reluctant interaction

Postby Doodlebug » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Nope. In the handbook it can mean service, a change of diesel filter or an issue with the engines electrical system....
We had a service by a local independent and a reset didn't work. His software was unable to identify the problem.
It's possible to attempt self diagnosis using a simple method that reveals a series of numbers but unfortunately, researching those numbers reveals other people with a similar experience, all of whom had to take their cars in to a Vauxhall dealership.
That leads to some suspicion that its all a bit of a con to fleece someone who hasn't used their dealership in a while as they're the only ones able to 'diagnose' the problem.
Doodlebug
A1F Major Contributor

Return to Other Marques (inc' other Audi!)