Lotus Elise S2

Discuss other models in the Audi range, or other Marques

Lotus Elise S2

Postby kwakaman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:47 pm

As above.

Anybody had or have any advice/reviews on the Lotus Elise? .....Butch??!!

Having been forced out of biking (by the mrs..lol). Miss the thrill of a real sports ride. Been looking at a few kit cars ie, Lotus 7 style, but most are ford based engined with very little ground clearance on the sump (3 inches maybe).
Looked at a MEV Rocket, which is also ford engined but has a flat floor pan so wouldn't knock out the sump. But for a well built version would be £12k upwards.
In that price range would be a Lotus Elise, which i have always wanted, but the insurance would be alot more expensive as apposed to a kit car @around £180 fully comp.

Heard the Toyota engine is better than the Rover VVC one in the Elise but not sure when that was introduced.
Looking at about £10k to spend, but dont like te S1 versions.
kwakaman
A1F Resident

Advertisement

Re: Lotus Elise S2

Postby Lofty » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:38 pm

I owned a VX220 a few years ago.Loads of fun for the money.It is basically an Elise but with more reliable mechanics and a bullet proof Vauxhall engine (out the vectra I think).
http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/clas ... -69/858179
Misano Audi A1 1.4 S-Line ( now gone)
Jaguar F-Type Coupe V6S
Golf R
Lofty
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Dynamo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:40 am

I had a s2 about 5 years ago, great car but lethal in the wet I spun it a few times.. Go for the Toyota engine if poss
185 Daytona / paddles / bose / xenons / cruise / privacy glass / Rotors
Dynamo
A1F Major Contributor

Postby kwakaman » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:21 am

Dynamo wrote:I had a s2 about 5 years ago, great car but lethal in the wet I spun it a few times.. Go for the Toyota engine if poss

Yeah, have heard they are a handful in the wet.Why so many get damaged i guess.
Did you have any problems with it? ie..cooling/heater leaking.
kwakaman
A1F Resident

Postby butch » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Graet fun car,but in my opinion the VX220 is a better bet if you can only afford the rover engines.
Had both and an exige and the elise was much more useable in everyday situations.
It seems the very first ones are firming up in price but they are quite fragile.
I am in the same situation with my bike,as i only use it on track ,doing a trackday is both a hassle and Expensive (between £120 and £200 for the place,tyres £250 ,Fuel £70 plus travelling and food ) so its north of £500 for the day which takes the edge off things!
Hence the Bike is for sale. :D
185 in Amalfi with Amalfi contrast line .Xenons,Bose,Open sky roof,Dual zone climate,bose,cuise,heated seats,parking plus,folding mirrors,storage pack,armrest,tyre pressure monitor,flappy paddle wheel,comfort pack,service plan.Interior retrim in Nappa with Tan,tan airvent sleeves,18"polygon Alloys. Second build after misbuild. Quattro on order.Here! Sold!
butch
A1F Resident

Return to Other Marques (inc' other Audi!)