Audi A1 Forum banner

your current car

14K views 60 replies 48 participants last post by  MM087 
#1 ·
Just wondering what car those who've ordered an A1 are driving and what you're gaining / sacrificing opting for the A1.

I'm currently driving a '05 Clio 182 (last of the old shape) and my motivation for changing is running costs. The road tax, fuel consumption, servicing and insurance should all be cheaper on the A1. I will miss the handling of the Clio especially as I have the Cup suspension option. I'm hoping I won't notice the missing sixty odd horsepower. I had been considering the Abarth 500 for almost a year but it's small boot capacity prompted me to look at what else was out there in the super mini category. Spec'd to my desires the Abarth is about five thousand less than the A1 but the high servicing, tax etc could possibly be close to that over five years anyway.

#2 ·
I drive an Audi Q5, 2.0 TFSi (211ps), S-Line

iCandi have a VW Golf GTi MKV, which the A1 will replace next month, as the Test car for the A1 Forum

#4 ·
I'm currently (and will be for a little while longer) driving around in my 2001 Lupo GTI. For those of you who don't know, it's 1.6 N/A 125bhp. I've got an early 5 speed one - the later ones were 6 speed.

Here it is:

I'll be sorry to see it go as I've grown very attached to it over the years, but its getting to the stage where it's starting to cost more & more to keep it on the road and as the cars get older and more affordable to younger drivers, they become more of a magnet for unwanted attention :(

The A1 really is about the only alternative out there at the moment - my other thought was the Mito, but I'd rather have Germany reliability than Alfa flakiness!

#6 ·
I have mini cooper D (09 plate) with 74k miles using it for driving tuition.
This is my 4th mini so this is big step for me to try something different.
I try to always look to have diff car from other ADIs so hoping 1.6 td S line does this for me.
The only concern for me will be less power and handling compared to mini, the top gear report bit harsh !!
Love the looks of A1 so hope that along with Audi class will win me over and hopefully reliability.

#7 ·
The A1 will be my wife's car, and is replacing a Mk 5 Golf 1.4S which we have already sold. My wife wanted a smaller car this time around, as the Golf just keeps getting bigger and bigger, and after looking at umpteen cars, the A1 fit the bill best.

Me? ... I presently have three cars; An Audi A2 TDi which is my sensible car, a Porsche Cayman which is my good car, and a Mazda MX5 Mk 1 (actually a Eunos Roadster) as my motorbike substitute.

;)

#11 ·
i've currently got an 06 a3 2.0tfsi s-line, although i love it, it's also pretty greedy & as i only drive it about 14miles a day feel it was a bit of a waste of money, think the back seats have only been sat on about twice!! so decided to downsize...getting nervous now though hoping i've done the right thing!.

#13 ·
At the present time ive have an A3, been the most relieble car ive had,i also use it for driving tuition,its comming upto 3 yrs old next spring,liked the look of the a1,looking for something more economical, ive just read the a1 doesnt come with a spare wheel(a little bit disapointing if this applies to all models),..its nice to have something alittle different.
Hi karenm..fellow adi..

#14 ·
Dealers may offer to provide (£££) a spare - but you won't get it from audi - as otherwise the extra weight will screw their co2 emissions rating (anything std from factory has to be included and it would bump up the weight and emissions - so they don't). There is space in the boot well for one IIRC (and you can get a storgage container to fill that area otherwise) - though that may only be true for the petrol ones (the diesels have the battery in the boot).

#15 ·
mini cooper s 09 plate 1600 turbo 175bhp

Just petrol usage is the reason for wanting to change but also cus cant stop looking at the white s line pictures :D :D i didnt do that with the mini

#16 ·
Well, I think I must get the prize then for the most 'boring' existing car LOL!

I have mentioned it elsewhere, but I have a 2002 Toyota Corolla 1.4 T3, which I bought from new in 2003 (strange circumstances in which it was a Toyota employee car that had remained 0 on the clock for a year). It now has a very conservative 30k on the clock and still looks like new. It has been top quality - no faults - ever.

I changed to the Corolla from a 3dr Micra - because I hated the smallness of it and the 3 doors were a pain as I had a very young child at the time and 2 older ones. I'm hoping I'm not going back to something too small with the A1, but I rarely drive with anyone else on board these days. I looked around at other small/medium cars and they all seemed a bit trashy in build quality. Even the ones which looked quite cool, like the new Fiesta, were nasty plastics inside and doors that don't close with that nice quality 'thunk'.

I hate the Mini - it just reminds me too much tof the original versions which were what everyone had when I learned to drive and I just don't like the retro styling. The only car I liked was the A1, inspite of its small size. I might have to cut down on the size of my weekly Tesco shop, just to fit it in!

I'm looking forward to having a car that people actually notice, instead of the most invisible car in the world.

#20 ·
I have a 2009 Discovery HSE, but the A1 will replace my wife's Fiat 500 sport. Which in turn replaced a Mini Cooper and that replaced a BMW Z3.

The Fiat will be 3 years old when it goes and whilst my wife likes it it's just too small for me to drive any distance. Having had an A3 followed by A4's I'm hoping the A1 will pack a lot into it's small body.

Big plus will be fuel consumption and road tax which will offset the Land Rovers £450 vel and 450 miles on £100 of diesel.

#22 ·
I have a 2009 Suzuki Swift 1.5 GLX 5 door,it is my driving instruction car with 103000 miles,and so far no faults.
This is my second Swift the previous one did 82000 miles in 18 months with only a clutch replacement at 72k.
I have really enjoyed the Swifts but fancied a change,my girlfriend has a Mito which is great,and i considered one until i saw the A1,so i am now waiting for my TDi SE in amalfi white due march/april.I also have a 1984 MG Metro Turbo,great fun!

#25 ·
Currently got a 2000 Audi A3 1.9TDI 110BHP in Silver

Used to have a track prepped Peugeot 205 GTI, miss the little pocket rocket :(

While i couldnt use that i used this

Hopefully it will be replaced by the new A1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.