Removing Headlight Unit

Discuss the A1 in depth here

Removing Headlight Unit

Postby Inverted » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi everyone..

I think i might be doing something wrong....
Following the instructions in the manual, i see you have to undo the 2 small silver torx bolts, and the one larger torx bolt lower down. However the unit still doesnt appear to want to move. Am i missing something? There is another torx bolt next to the uppermost smaller one.. does that need releasing as well??....
A1 1.4 TFSI S-Line Sportback | Scuba Blue - Black Contrast | Xenons, Climate control, rain/light sensors
Inverted
A1F Regular

Advertisement

Re: Removing Headlight Unit

Postby Eddie1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Inverted wrote:Hi everyone..

I think i might be doing something wrong....
Following the instructions in the manual, i see you have to undo the 2 small silver torx bolts, and the one larger torx bolt lower down. However the unit still doesnt appear to want to move. Am i missing something? There is another torx bolt next to the uppermost smaller one.. does that need releasing as well??....

No just the three bolts mentioned.
I did find you need to turn them more then 6 turns though.
I also found that the bottom bolt retainer seems to be slightly springy and had to push down on it slightly in order for the light to be pulled out.

Sorry for the "untechie" speak but I am not sure of the terms :D

ps when putting it back in I found it best to ensure the light was placed on all "runners" and pushed & tightened the bottom bolt 1st to ensure a flush fit.

Are you replaceing the DRL's? It so I hope you have small hands :D
A1 1.6TDi Sport, Brilliant Black, Black/Black Interior Trim, Comfort Pack (Auto Lights & Wipers, Cruise Control, Rear Parking Sensors), Interior LED Light Pack, Arm Rest, Storage Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Mudflaps & Retrofit LED DRL's
Eddie1
A1F Regular

Postby RobbieA » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Yes I had the same problem and found I needed to depress toe lower rear bracket once I had loosened off the 3 bolts. Also as Eddie said, you need to undo the two top bolts until they lift clear of the headlamp unit, a lot more than 6 turns.
1.4 TFSI Sport Shiraz Red/Silver with Grey/Titanium full leather - Comfort & Media Style packs. HD Satnav, DAB radio, heated seats and folding mirrors. Now with TMC box and LED DRL's
RobbieA
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Inverted » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks everyone..
yup once i figured to depress the lip under the larger bolt, it was easy peasy....

Tried the LED DRL's looked great when on, however, being mr picky i didnt like the look when they were switched off. A shame the LED's are made of a yellow plastic :(

As such.. anyone wanting a pair of LED DRLs to change over or just for a spare pair?? Cost £20.. but willing to sell for £10 plus postage.. :oops:
A1 1.4 TFSI S-Line Sportback | Scuba Blue - Black Contrast | Xenons, Climate control, rain/light sensors
Inverted
A1F Regular

Postby Nipz » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:58 pm

What do you mean you didn't like the look of them when they were off? Do you mean that you can see the colour of the bulb housing or something?
1.4 Sport | White | 17" 5 Arm Wheels | Privacy Glass | Collected 21st Jan 2011
Nipz
A1F Major Contributor

Postby shakeystevo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Am sure someone will nab them up :)

Post a advert in the for sale section.

Did they trigger any blown bulbs errors just out of curiosity?
1.4 TSFI S-Line
Connectivity Package / Tyre Pressure Loss Indicators / Amalfi White
shakeystevo
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Inverted » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi,
yup the housing has a number of LED units. The clear resin used to seal them is a bright yellow. Just stands out a bit when switched off.

Ah didnt realise we had a for sale section... and no, no warnings for the 15mins they were plugged in :)
They are the same bulbs Robbie A has..
Inverted
A1F Regular

Postby tim » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:14 pm

My son in law messes with cars and is having trouble with LED bulbs,they keep blowing or start flashing are there a lot of poor quality ones around or is it the heat from the headlamp that is causing the problem?
tim
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Inverted » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:20 pm

This is the first time i've "dabbled" in LEDs... i've heard there are a lot of cheapo chinese etc manufacturers out there, so you have to choose wisely. Some LEDs wont work, or work incorrectly due to not having the correct current. So they require in line resistors etc, which can make it all a bit tricky. The ones i bought work fine thanks to RobbieA's recommendations without the resistors. I just didnt like them in their cold state...
Inverted
A1F Regular

Postby Eddie1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Dear Mr Picky :D
You must be looking very very closely to see those.
Sorry you don't like them, but I guess if they are not what you want, it's fair enough.

I also have the same one's (same as RobbieA) and think they look fantastic.
I have not had any problems with them so far and have covered just over 2000 miles now.
A1 1.6TDi Sport, Brilliant Black, Black/Black Interior Trim, Comfort Pack (Auto Lights & Wipers, Cruise Control, Rear Parking Sensors), Interior LED Light Pack, Arm Rest, Storage Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Mudflaps & Retrofit LED DRL's
Eddie1
A1F Regular

Next

Return to The Audi A1 Forum