Audi A1 Sat Nav

Discuss the A1 in depth here

Audi A1 Sat Nav

Postby F11 CRG » Wed May 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Afternoon Ladies & Gents

I own a 1.4 TFSI Sport 3dr and I am having trouble getting Sat Nav to work. It comes up on screen in car saying contact Audi as its not been "Turned On" Was wondering how this is done and cost? I have been told its upwards of £500 that cant be right surely? :o :cry:

I have bluetooth, 2x SD Card Slots etc etc So I have the right radio etc???? :)

Any help or info is greatly Appreciated :D

Regards
Craig H :)
F11 CRG
A1F Newbee

Advertisement

Re: Audi A1 Sat Nav

Postby stuartellis2 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Im assuming this is SD Card sat Nav as opposed to factory installed HDD sat Nav?
1.4 TFSI Sport 3dr- Pearl Phantom Black- Parking System Plus- Tyre warning indicator- Hill Hold Assist- Sd Sat Nav- Heated and Folding Door Mirrors- LED Interior Light Pack- Rear floor mats- 5 year Long Life Service Plan.
stuartellis2
A1F Major Contributor

Postby jpb » Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Welcome to the world of Audi!

If you have the right radio this means you probably had the Sat Nav prep - but you don't get the Sat Nav without paying a further £460 or so! (Actually if you look at the brochure the SD card Sat Nav option is something like £875, while the connectivity pack with Sat Nav prep is £305 so paying an extra £500 brings the cost up to slightly less than the cost of the full option. So on that basis it is not such a bad deal.)
Scuba Blue A1 sportback 1.6TDi sport
options - comfort pack, led lights, connectivity pack, Audi sound system,tpms, parking plus, high-beam-assist, DAB, Climate Control, heated/folding mirrors, service plan, rear floor mats.
jpb
A1F Major Contributor

Postby F11 CRG » Wed May 30, 2012 2:44 pm

Cheers for that info mate but to be truthful i can buy a sat nav that sticks to the window and does the same if not more than the Audi Sat nav for less than half the price :lol:
F11 CRG
A1F Newbee

Postby jpb » Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 pm

F11 CRG wrote:Cheers for that info mate but to be truthful i can buy a sat nav that sticks to the window and does the same if not more than the Audi Sat nav for less than half the price :lol:

That is very true.

All in-built car systems are very expensive compared to a Tom-Tom or Garmin and they are also expensive to update.

The arguments for the Audi system are:

1.) always there and with no trailing wires or need to recharge a battery.
2.) less of a thief magnet (don't have to remove it and then clean off the sucker marks on the glass that thieves look for)
3.) the aerial is probably better so gains satellite lock easier
4.) the screen is a bit bigger than most Garmins/Tom Toms unless you get the trucker version!
5.) is better integrated in terms of showing up on the DIS and also voice interaction though Tom Toms/Garmins do the voice thing as well.

arguments against

1.) expensive to buy
2.) expensive to update maps (costs as much as a Garmin to do so!)
3.) has had a few miles/km bugs though now fixed I think
4.) probably lacking some features compared to top end Garmin/Tom Tom
Scuba Blue A1 sportback 1.6TDi sport
options - comfort pack, led lights, connectivity pack, Audi sound system,tpms, parking plus, high-beam-assist, DAB, Climate Control, heated/folding mirrors, service plan, rear floor mats.
jpb
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Graham55 » Wed May 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi

Welcome to the forum and echo the previous comments. One word of warning if you look on eBay you will see people selling the maps on the SD card from between £70 - £175, but to get this to work you will also need the licence pack and this is around £300, so the best deal works out around £400, and then just as you think you have paid enough, your local dealer needs to activate this and will charge between £65 - £100 to do the work.

A few options, wait until someone finds a work-a-round the Audi system, or buy a decent portable sat nav for under £150 including maps upgrades for the life of the product.

:D
2011 (60) A1 1.4 TFSI Sport S tronic, Phantom Black, 17" 5 arm Bi-Colour Alloy Wheels, Black/Titanium grey interior, Electronic Climate Control, Auto Headlights/Wipers & Sun band, Connectivity package, Luggage package, Rear Floor Mats, & 5 Year Service Plan.

Mods: Front Centre Armrest, boot mat, auto-dimming mirror, stainless steel footrest and aluminium pedals covers, rear parking sensors.

VCDS mods: fogs on turn, mirror dip on reverse and needle sweep.
Graham55
A1F Resident

Audi A1 Sat Nav

Postby Maz » Wed May 30, 2012 10:55 pm

Hi Craig

Being a cheapskate Paisley Buddy, I love my "Nav Free" App, which as long as I am playing music via Bluetooth, gives me directions through the speakers. Maybe not good if you need to use a lot, but has worked perfectly for me in the times I've needed it over the last 4 weeks since I got my A1 :-)

Enjoy your new car.

Maz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Maz
A1F Regular

Postby triplefan » Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 am

I just don't get why Audi charge so much for nav. Normally I'd be happy to put my hand in my pocket to kit out my baby but even I baulk at £460 initial purchase+ £150 to upgrade maps a year later.
jpb wrote:arguments against

1.) expensive to buy

You missed portability, can't take the Audi with you on foot :lol:
Daytona grey 1.6TDI S-Line with Xenons, 18" Rotors, connectivity pack, climate control, cruise control, auto lights and wipers, stubby aerial, retro fit armrest & rear park sensors

Cheap and Reliable is not Fast. Cheap and Fast is not Reliable. Fast and Reliable is not Cheap!

triplefan
A1F Resident

Postby butch » Thu May 31, 2012 7:28 am

triplefan wrote:I just don't get why Audi charge so much for nav. Normally I'd be happy to put my hand in my pocket to kit out my baby but even I baulk at £460 initial purchase+ £150 to upgrade maps a year later.
jpb wrote:arguments against

1.) expensive to buy

You missed portability, can't take the Audi with you on foot :lol:

You also missed speed camera warnings and live updates.
185 in Amalfi with Amalfi contrast line .Xenons,Bose,Open sky roof,Dual zone climate,bose,cuise,heated seats,parking plus,folding mirrors,storage pack,armrest,tyre pressure monitor,flappy paddle wheel,comfort pack,service plan.Interior retrim in Nappa with Tan,tan airvent sleeves,18"polygon Alloys. Second build after misbuild. Quattro on order.Here! Sold!
butch
A1F Resident

Postby butch » Thu May 31, 2012 7:29 am

I wonder how long before Tomtom or garmin do a Sd card version to fit the A1? :?
185 in Amalfi with Amalfi contrast line .Xenons,Bose,Open sky roof,Dual zone climate,bose,cuise,heated seats,parking plus,folding mirrors,storage pack,armrest,tyre pressure monitor,flappy paddle wheel,comfort pack,service plan.Interior retrim in Nappa with Tan,tan airvent sleeves,18"polygon Alloys. Second build after misbuild. Quattro on order.Here! Sold!
butch
A1F Resident

Next

Return to The Audi A1 Forum