Audi A1 Forum banner

HOW TO - Retrofit Reverse Parking Sensors

59K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  B4lamb 
#1 ·
This is an easy job, although moderately time consuming. As well as the usual screw driver and torx bits, a deep socket is required to release the bumper fixings, mine are 45mm but would only reach if the extension was inserted up to the ball bearing, 50mm+ should do the job.

Most of the wiring is terminated in with a connector that plugs in, but there is a small amount of stripping, cutting and joining.

As supplied the sensors need painting, you can find your paint code on the sticker in the bootspace, they come complete with comprehensive fitting instructions.

Tools required:-

Selection of torx bits
Extension bar and ratchet
Side cutters
Drill and 20mm hole cutter
Small file

Parts list:-
8X0 054 630

Audi fitting instructions here

First you need to remove the bumper, begin by removing the two screws each side that secure the arch liner to bumper

Next release the screws underneath, 1 each side, that attach the underside of the bumper to the body

Lift upwards on the center section of boot trim by the hatch opening to expose the studs that secure the bumper, there are 4 of them, the other two are behind the plastic covers in the remaining trim

There are 4 long fixing studs with a 10mm nut, which is where you need the deep socket

Once you have done this you are ready to remove the bumper, there is a clip each side attached to the rear wing that retains the bumper in line with the wing, gently ease the bumper outwards and away from the rear wing to release from the clip before it can be withdrawn backwards. DO NOT PULL TOO HARD. Once off it should look like this............well similar but with the secondary lights still in place :D

Inside the bumper you will find the 4 positions for sensors marked with a circle and cross, centre punch and drill a pilot hole, I used a 3mm drill. Note: the official instructions recommend applying tape before drilling, I didn't and it was fine, but the choice is yours.

Turn the bumper over and drill the 20mm hole from outside, when done you should have one that looks like this...

De-burr the holes and file a 1mm tall notch in the top of the hole, this aligns with a ridge on the sensor and prevents it rotating, when you finish the last hole, breath a sigh of deep relief as you have managed the worst part without mishap (hopefully)

Squeeze the tabs down onto the sensor and insert in the hole, push home and ensure properly seated, attach the loom in it's correct location, sensor 1 is on the nearside and 4 on the off side, route the loom through the clips

Insert loom through large hole in the rear panel and re-fit bumper

View from inside with the loom pulled through and grommet installed

Remove the screws from the floor support bracket

and from inside the shelf support bracket

and pull the trim away from the side of the rear hatch. Cut out a section of soundproofing felt and stick the control box to the inner wheel arch with the large double sided adhesive pad supplied, and connect sensor cables in their respective socket i.e. sensor 1 in socket 1 etc.

The buzzer can be seen top left of this pic, this location puts it just behind the slots in the rear side panel trim, and connect loom to control box. Finally connect the power loom to control box, attach the black wire to earth, and splice the red wire to the vehicles blue/black found in the main loom that runs from front to back. (I missed getting a picture of this, but it is clearly shown in the fitting instructions) Secure all new looms to existing ones, some are very generous and need coiling up.

You are now ready to calibrate the sensors, the reverse lights are not active with the hatch open so this must be done with the hatch closed, and do not enter sensor range whilst calibrating:
Reverse the car until 50cm from a wall (nothing shiny and not a metal garage door)
Switch off ignition
Switch on ignition and select reverse
The controller signals the start of the learning process with a double beep
A single long beep within 100 seconds confirms learning process complete
Finally cut the loop of blue from within the vehicle, DO NOT OPEN THE HATCH OR ENTER THE SENSOR RANGE
This completes sensor set-up.
If at any time you require a repeat calibration, reconnect the blue wire and repeat the process

Re-install the trims etc, stand back and admire you new rear park sensors

Usual disclaimer applies, this is what I did, if you do it, read and follow the supplied instructions

See less See more
#3 ·
Well done!
I'm finding these tutorials of yours very useful. I think I'll have a go at this one. Is there no need for ECU programming after doing this retrofit? What's on the MMI when system is in use, similar to POLO? Also how much are the bits? Part number? Cheers. :cool:

#4 ·
Great post - good on you for doing this.

Agree with above comment about needing an undo button with something like this! :D I certainly would.

Rear visibility is fine on the car, but my previous cars have had park assist and I am so used to it. I think not having it would be an accident waiting to happen. :|

I think all Audi/Volkswagen cars beep once when you put it in reverse to let you know its there.

#7 ·
well done mate as usual really good instructions i mite do this my self .........one day

#8 ·
Stuuu said:
Good job!

As someone who is considering the A1, is the rear visability that bad on such a small car?
Not really, but it just makes life so much easier :D

#9 ·
Chimp1 said:
Well done!
Is there no need for ECU programming after doing this retrofit? What's on the MMI when system is in use, similar to POLO? Also how much are the bits? Part number? Cheers. :cool:
No need for any programming or VCDS

Nothing on the screen, this is reverse park only.

Parts are just over £200 new (I think) but i got them from ebay for £99

Part number is at the start of the post, 8X0 054 630

#10 ·
Mr R said:
I think all Audi/Volkswagen cars beep once when you put it in reverse to let you know its there.
Yeah it beeps once, nice and reassuring that it is working

#14 ·
mrfaize said:
sftdi said:
I got my dealer to retro fit mine, no way would I have attempted it. Well done though for such an insightful post!
How much and where please?
This was when I bought my car off the dealer (Bradford Audi). They quoted £250 to supply and fit. Genuine Audi retro fit kit but fitted by a third party (think it was Audio Images - Bradford). Very pleased with it overall.

#15 ·
Hi. I would like to do this but am unsure if i could find the wire in the loom.is it the wire in the pic with control box and sounder. Thanks

#20 ·
alexone85 said:
hi tripefan,
great guide, good for if you can put this link that no longer works? thank you very much! :D

Audi fitting instructions here
Alex, sorry that they have been deleted (not by me!) I will have to find and scan them again,, which I cannot do until I'm back at work next week, it may be Tuesday before I can get round to it.

#21 ·
ah okay, if you have the PDF files you may send them to me via email so do not scans, or quietly look when you get back to work, do not hurry ...
I need to know especially the black/blue wire, if it is a positive 12+ under a key or 12+ under the battery or a 12 + that is activated by more ... I thank you again ...

#23 ·
I don't think so. The ones you have will likely be Cobra and not Audi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#24 ·
Hi

+1, the Parking sensors purchase from Audi are Cobra and usually three times the price they are from other retailers.

I asked the installer I used if linking to the MMI was possible (he fitted a set of Gemini flush fit parking sensors to my car a few weeks ago), and it can be done, but you would need the Audi module and a a few extra bits and pieces. He can obtain the parts from his supplier in Germany, and will make up a kit using Audi parts he has in his store. Not practical for me now but worth knowing in case anyone else is considering fitting parking sensors.

I would highly recommend the installer as he really knows his stuff, and offers a VCDS service as well.

#25 ·
Graham55 said:
Hi

+1, the Parking sensors purchase from Audi are Cobra and usually three times the price they are from other retailers.

I asked the installer I used if linking to the MMI was possible (he fitted a set of Gemini flush fit parking sensors to my car a few weeks ago), and it can be done, but you would need the Audi module and a a few extra bits and pieces. He can obtain the parts from his supplier in Germany, and will make up a kit using Audi parts he has in his store. Not practical for me now but worth knowing in case anyone else is considering fitting parking sensors.

I would highly recommend the installer as he really knows his stuff, and offers a VCDS service as well.
Cool, would be great knowing details for that.

Thks!

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.