Cable routing advice

Discuss the A1 in depth here

Re: Cable routing advice

Postby PaleBlueDot » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Hey - sorry about this, but I got the fuse boxes the wrong way around. I'll edit my original post to correct it.

The picture I took is misleading, in that it looks like the thick blue wire (which is the accessory switched one) goes into the black fuse box, but it doesn't, it loops round and goes into the brown fuse box. Really sorry about that. :roll:

So to fix this, you can remove either of the vertical fuses in the brown fuse box (as they're normal sized too), and plug your add-a-circuit into there. Then plug the fuse you removed into the spare slot on the add-a-circuit. Alternatively you can get a mini add-a-circuit and use a spare mini-fuse slot.
MY13 Audi A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S tronic Sport Brilliant Black
Spec: Advanced Key, Auto Dimming Read View Mirror, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Dynamic Suspension, Flat Tyre Indicator, Folding Door Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Heated Seats, LED Interior Light Pack, Light Sensor, Luggage Pack, Parking System Plus, Rain Sensor, Xenon Lights.
Mods:BlackVue DR500GW-HD Dash Cam, Bonnet Felt, Boot Carpet (GE90), Boot LEDs, Chrome Plate Surround, Glove Box LED, Halfords Plates, NFC, Solar Panel Parcel Shelf, Tracker, Under Seat Storage.

PaleBlueDot
A1F Resident

Advertisement

Postby Jonathan E » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:54 am

Great stuff was starting to think I'd gone a bit mad!
I have got a mini ad a circuit so will use that one. Thanks for your help, its an excellent solution, it will help me fit my other camera into my other car.
Last edited by Jonathan E on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan E
A1F Regular

Postby PaleBlueDot » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:00 pm

No problem. I thought I was going mad too when I checked the black fuse box with my meter and it wasn't turning off with the ignition. That blue wire looks like it's going to the black fuse box from almost every angle you can see it from.

Let me know if you got it all working in the end.
Spec: Advanced Key, Auto Dimming Read View Mirror, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Dynamic Suspension, Flat Tyre Indicator, Folding Door Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Heated Seats, LED Interior Light Pack, Light Sensor, Luggage Pack, Parking System Plus, Rain Sensor, Xenon Lights.
Mods:BlackVue DR500GW-HD Dash Cam, Bonnet Felt, Boot Carpet (GE90), Boot LEDs, Chrome Plate Surround, Glove Box LED, Halfords Plates, NFC, Solar Panel Parcel Shelf, Tracker, Under Seat Storage.

PaleBlueDot
A1F Resident

Postby Jonathan E » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Im going to try and sort it tomorrow afternoon, So I'll report back soon.
Jonathan E
A1F Regular

Postby AudiDoDee » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:24 pm

MODS !
Can you grab this info and make it a sticky 8-)
AudiDoDee
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Jonathan E » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:23 am

Have now switched to brown fuse box and all is good.
Thanks again for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan E
A1F Regular

Postby PaleBlueDot » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:10 pm

Which leaves the only remaining question... what are those purple coloured things that cover the fuse box actually for, given that they don't seem to hold the fuses in or actually cover them much.

PaleBlueDot
A1F Resident

Postby Jonathan E » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:16 am

PaleBlueDot wrote:Which leaves the only remaining question... what are those purple coloured things that cover the fuse box actually for, given that they don't seem to hold the fuses in or actually cover them much.

I have no idea :lol:
Jonathan E
A1F Regular

Postby CrIpleX » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 am

PaleBlueDot: I hope you still check this thread, but I was wondering if you know if this fuse box is in the same location in a LHD car?
CrIpleX
A1F Newbee

Postby PaleBlueDot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:18 pm

The fuse boxes are located on both the right and left sides of the dashboard. You can see the side panel to remove only when you open the door.

The manual says that on RHD A1s you identify the fuse boxes by their colour and also refers to them as Driver and Passenger side, as opposed to Left and Right. So from that I'm guessing the passenger side is the correct side on both RHD and LHD cars.

You should be able to tell from the fuse values if you have the right boxes or not. Specifically, if you look at brown box, the top 8 fuses on mine are all 5A. On the other side of the car only the top 6 fuses are 5A, then it goes 15/20A and 10A. Also with the vertical orientated fuses the correct side has blank/5/15/30 and the wrong side has blank/30/20/blank. Of course you may have more or less blanks than me, depending on options.

Of course you can use any suitable fuse box. I just stuck on lead of my voltmeter on the metal bolt near by, and stuck the other probe into an empty slot on each fuse box (note only one side of the blank slot has a connector, so visually check for a metal bit inside the fuse holder) to check for 12V. With the ignition off first I found a fuse box that had a permanent on connection. The other was off. I then turned the ignition on and re-checked to find the fuse box that turns on with the ignition.

PaleBlueDot
A1F Resident

Previous

Return to The Audi A1 Forum