A1 Handling

Discuss the A1 in depth here

Re: A1 Handling

Postby Mattwilkins92 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:24 pm

I find the my 185 handles good for 9/10 situations i chuck at it. However when seriously pressing on ive found the A1 is very easy to get lift off oversteer. People have reported that 35mm springs all round improves it by a lot. I will be purchasing some soon as for £135 its a fairly cheap yet improving mod.
BE 185 Scuba Blue / Alu Pedals / Under Bonnet Insulation / Silver Indicator Bulbs / Boot Liner / VCDS: Needle Sweep, Rear LED DRL & Audible Lock.
Mattwilkins92
A1F Major Contributor

Advertisement

Postby kwakaman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:54 pm

Mine handles fine. Even on dynamic suspension. Yes ok, it is a bit soft and rolls a bit compared to my previous zetec s fiesta.
Think its all about how you drive and not about the cars handling. I prefer to be slower into a corner and power out rather than plough in and get understeer.
Most cars should handle perfectly fine at the legal speed limits.

I have lived in the country all my life so have got fed up with pushing a cars suspension/handling now.
Expect its a novelty for town people who actually find a twisty B road and can get out of 2nd gear town driving. Beats drifting around roundabouts. :lol:
kwakaman
A1F Resident

Postby ajk1972 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:55 am

I am happy with the way mine handles ........ not having had a mini before helps ;-)

Remember that the A1 has got quite good traction control ...... try pushing it a little harder and you will notice it kick in and stop you doing anything silly. I have had mine kick in a few times to the point I switch it off when I feel like having a blast, as it was slowing me down ;-)
2.0 TDI Black Edition - GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN :-(

:geek: VCDS USB-HEX+CAN - PM for coding/mods in Wiltshire :geek:

* pm me for A1-Forum Stickers or Custom Vinyl Stickers *
ajk1972
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Flipper » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:37 am

Mine arrived with the steering wheel off centre which was annoying
Dealer had it for three days! fixed now :D
S1 daytona
Flipper
A1F Regular

Postby KiwiRob » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:03 pm

ajk1972 wrote:I am happy with the way mine handles ........ not having had a mini before helps ;-)

I think it depends on what MINI you had, I went from a Clubman (awesome car) to Countryman (complete POS) and now to an A1, which I'll get in 6 weeks, the demo car I had was a Sportsback with 18inch wheels and sports suspension, it destroys the Countryman, it feels far more secure around fast corners, it doesn't roll and I feel more confident. It's a good thing I can't remember how awesome the Clubman was.
KiwiRob
A1F Major Contributor

Postby goalhanger » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 pm

My wifes R50 Mini Cooper wipes the floor with my A1 S/back . The steering just doesnt load up at all , the car just keeps going round . The ride is also better than my A1 on sport susp. and that is because she is on sensible 175mm tyres . Also her traction control is a million times better . Mine wheelspins like mad , then the TC decides its gonna do something and kicks in , by which time I've got embarressed and lifted off , only to be nearly hit up the back by a Transit van. TC is the worst thing on the car , and no the dealer says it correct for DSG .
Still like the A1 though , although the new 2014 Mini is interesting with the new engines !!!
Gone--- Sportback Sport 1.4TFsi S-tronic , Glacier White, 17" Bi colour wheels, panoramic sunroof, climate, rain/light sensors, fold mirrors, LED interior, tow ball prep and luggage , tyre pressure sensor, heated seats, centre armrest, rear parking assist.
Now--- A3 Saloon S-Line 1.4 150ps S-Tronic , Glacier White, Comfort pack and privacy glass
goalhanger
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Trantor » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Since acquiring my car in November I've yet to experience the handling limit! My car is equipped with two traction control systems - a silicon based one under the bonnet and a carbon based one located on the passenger seat ;)
A1 1.4 TFSI (140) CoD S-Tronic Sportback Sport. Shiraz Red. 16" Dynamic alloys, Dynamic suspension, SD satnav, Power fold mirrors, Garnet red sports seats, Park plus, Audi sound system, Hill hold assist, Centre armrest, Auto lights & wipers, Cruise, Auto-dim mirror, Headlight washers, Xenons, LED light package, Climate control, TPMS.
Trantor
A1F Regular

Postby AndyMac » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Well my Mini, 1988 Mayfair, which is stuck in the garage is lucky if it gets outside twice a year. It corners on rails and so does the A1. You must be really pushing it to find a difference between the A1 - Mini - Fiesta - Polo or owt else
AndyMac
A1F Major Contributor

Postby Afoggo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:30 pm

AndyMac wrote:Well my Mini, 1988 Mayfair, which is stuck in the garage is lucky if it gets outside twice a year. It corners on rails and so does the A1.

+1 on the classic mini :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
1.6 TDI S-Line | Daytona Grey | Xenon | Bose | Connectivity Package | ECC | Electric Folding Mirrors | Hill Hold Assist | 5yr Service Plan
Afoggo
A1F Major Contributor

Postby goalhanger » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:17 am

I dont think handing is about the limits , its about how the car feels at any speed . Ive never driver either the Mini or the A1 off the road , but the difference is the steering feel is quite big . The A1 loads up quite a lot in tighter bends whereas the Mini never feels heavy and keeps tracking into the corner . Just drive a RWD BMW after a Mondeo and you will see what it means .
Gone--- Sportback Sport 1.4TFsi S-tronic , Glacier White, 17" Bi colour wheels, panoramic sunroof, climate, rain/light sensors, fold mirrors, LED interior, tow ball prep and luggage , tyre pressure sensor, heated seats, centre armrest, rear parking assist.
Now--- A3 Saloon S-Line 1.4 150ps S-Tronic , Glacier White, Comfort pack and privacy glass
goalhanger
A1F Major Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to The Audi A1 Forum