Audi A1 Forum banner

Audi a1 sportback help on what to get and the added packs?

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Peter1963 
#1 ·
Hi

I'm wanting to get an Audi a1 but stuck as to what one to get? :roll:
I need an automatic and would prefer a diesel due to cost saving on fuel. I'm going for the sportback for the 5 Dr.

What packages would people recommended? What do people have and what do you think is worth adding.
I like the tech pack but its costly, is it worth the cost?
The interior light pack, what actually does this include? And the climate control? I notice alot of people have this!

Does the a1 sportback come with automatic folding wing mirrors as standard and what are the standard lights like?
Also the sound system that comes with the Audi I can't imagine to be terrible but Is the Bose sound system amazing and worth the upgrade?

Alot of questions I know but I want to make sure that I am clued up on exactly what I want before I get one :)

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Folding mirrors are a optional extra they do not fold automatically you have to fold them by turning a dial (it maybe possible to code them to fold when you lock the car with VCDs)

Climate control is nice set a temperature & let the car manage the heating & ventilation

Led light pack just gives you led bulbs & footwell lighting

The Audi sound pack is a good compromise between Bose & standard Bose is very good but if your budget conscious you can't go wrong with Audi sound

You haven't said if your looking at a sport or s-line the so your headlights question is a bit vague the sport has halogens which maybe fine the S-line has xenon's which are a massive improvement you can't have xenon's on a sport currently

Things to consider a service pack theirs 2 options variable based on time & distance usually aimed at high mile drivers you may only get 2 services in this period

Fixed £450 which is annual service every year for 5 years

Lastly are you sure you need a diesel(audis fuel consumption figures are very optimistic) the extra cost to buy them could cost more then the fuel savings(they may not get the best fuel economy on short runs as the car will not be at optimal temperatures) they aren't really suitable for short journeys A petrol 1.4 costs less & will be reasonably economical & you may be able to use the saving for a s-line or more extras

Ultimately it's your car buy what you want & need

#3 ·
Hi,

I'll throw out some of my own thoughts, but as stated by daydotz you'll be the one driving it so as long as you are happy with what you buy that is all that matters.

My own car is the 3 door, 1.4 petrol Sport with some extras.

Things happy I added:
- Electronic Climate Control, as it is nice just to set a temperature and then forget about it. Plus i found when I did turn it off, the car had a tendency to steam up the windows quite a lot. Not sure if this has improved with the later model versions or not.
- Auto Lights/Wipers, again not really having to think about them. Plus gives you the coming home/leaving lights functionality.
- LED interior lights, adds a bit extra 'nicety' to the interior. Think Audi are not as mean/tight as they use to be, but in the past not specing this meant you got no glove box light!

Things not bothered about:
- Tech Pack, happy enough using sd card and using bluetooth streaming of phone if I haven't transfered songs to sd card.

Things undecided about:
- Audio, I only have the basic one and suits me fine. Probably something to hear for yourself in the showrooms and see what you are happy with.

If my budget had of stretched:
- Xenon's, daytime lights look the part on the car and it provides better lightning/safety during night time driving. Use to be able to spec them separately but now only part of the s-line model. If I was buying again, I would def pump for the s-line, now that I can afford more.

Also important to note, is the suspension setup of the car. This is very much a personal thing, so make sure to drive the different setups. Mine is the sport on 17s, I do still find it quite crashy in places. Don't think I would enjoy s-line suspension on 18s! But try them out and see what feels right for you.

And finally as pointed out, work out your average mileage before deciding on diesel over the petrol.

Hope that helps a little.

#4 ·
Thank you for replying. I'm looking at the sportback sport, I do like the Sline but it's abit above my price range.

Can you get the Xenons headlights added as an extra?

I do 20,000 to 25,000 miles a year so wanted to go for diesel.

Also in the TFSI you get a twin exhaust and in the TDI you get a single exhaust. Why? Why don't you get the twin exhausts in the sport TDI? Might be a silly question but just wondering.

#5 ·
Your be ok with a diesel currently you can't have xenons on a sport (this has been the case since the facelift the old version you could have them as £1000 option)

The exhaust worked like this
1.2/1.0 petrol had a single
1.4 125 150 185 petrols had twin
1.6 diesel had a single
2.0 diesel had twin (no longer sold)

As for the reason behind It
Looks
Performance (lack of or needed)
Aspirational

#6 ·
You have to look at your budget, just how much are you prepared to spend on Audis incredibly expensive factory options.

Personally i would get the Climatic A/C, because of its visual appeal.

Also the cruise control, because that is essential with the diesels economy, especially on long journeys.
The new 2015 Design Pack, because it includes the lovely electric sunroof, LED interior lighting, folding electric mirrors and the privacy glass, and the automatic wipers and lights.

Definitely go for the 1.6TDi diesel, its the one i went for, and its a gorgeous engine, returning an easy 70mpg, if driven carefully.

I would forget Audis Sat/Nav, the aftermarket Garmin and Tom Toms are hundreds cheaper, especially the crazy overpriced Tech Pack version.

A Garmin full HD Google StreetView system is well under £200 in Halfords, and Audi want £1500 for the pleasure- What sense is there in that.

The only other option that i would definitely get, is the £130 Alloy gearstick.

I ordred mine after taking delivery of my car, but in hindsight the £130 is good value, its a gorgeous item.

#7 ·
:) thank you all for the great advice.

Yes I do like the sunroof! Im wanting the A1 sportback 1.6 sport S tronic diesel in white.

I wanted the contrast roof in black and the privacy glass however if I got the design pack which includes the privacy and the sunroof I probably wouldn't get the contrast roof because of costs. Does the sunroof cover half the top of the car in black glass then the rest is white and the pillars are also white or are they black?

I also like the comfort pack and will probably add this on.

The climate control i do see what you mean about the visual appearance with the chrome it does stand out and look the part I'm just not sure if I really need it, i haven't had this before in a car so don't mind doing the air con etc manually, unless there's more perks to it that I'm not seeing please say.

Sadly the alloy gear stick is only available in manual :(

#8 ·
The sunroof covers slightly more than half the entire roof area, and Audi provide different coloured glass, depending on the colour of your car.

The Design Pack is not a cheap option at nearly £1000, but for that money you get an awful amount of extra bling.

The quality of the sunroof is as to be expected PRETTY SPECIAL.
I do not know who manufactured it, but it is beautifully made, especially the aluminium constructed sun blind inside the car, that would not look out of place inside an A8.

The Privacy Glass looks nice whatever colour paintwork your A1 is in.

As for the Climatic A/C, its the way it works and operates in daily use.

The tactile nature of those alloy nobs, they work so beautifully that one almost wants to go for a spin in your A1 just to try them out.

If you can sit in an A1 with those Alloy nobs installed, and then sit in another without the nobs.

You will be a convert, and £330 sounds a lot, but i bet its money you can add to the second hand value of your A1, simply because your car has them fitted.

Also included are the rather nice LED interior lighting, and the folding wing mirrors as well.

In my opinion, if you can justify that extra expense in choosing the Design Pack, it is money well spent, and makes your A1 stand out amongst the crowd of others.

I saw my first A1 with the sunroof, months before i ever considered owning an Audi.

The car in question was a White S Line TDi, and that sunroof looked so upmarket, that i thought, that must have cost an absolute fortune.

As your chosen A1 will be in White, the contrast of that dark, almost full length glass electric sunroof on your car, would look a million dollars, and with a silver contrast line as well, Skies the Limit.

When i ordered my A1, i somehow managed to fork out the extra money to get the design pack.

I am ever so glad i did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.