Audi A1 Forum banner

Electric folding mirrors worth it?

18K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Salsin 
#1 ·
Just ordered a A1 SportsBack, but just wondering if its worth adding on the electric folding mirrors for the £125 book price? I understand they are not automatic and are switch operated, but what's your experience with then? Are they a must have, or waste of money?

Thanks
B

#3 ·
I'm always in London, so it's nice to have especially on not so fair weather days.

#4 ·
This is how I think about it...

How often do I manually fold my mirrors in on my current car? Never.

If I could fold them in by pressing a button, how often would I do it? Probably always.

Have my mirrors ever been damaged, where it would have been avoided if they had being folded in? Yes - twice. Repair cost more than £125 + time + hassle + feeling crap.

Therefore, for me, they're worth it.

I've thought quite a bit about the automatic part and think it's best that they're not automatic. The A1 is 15cm wider than my current car. When I park the A1 in my garage, the car will be right up against the left wall. If the mirrors unfolded automatically they'd hit the left wall and get torn off when I reversed. Similarly there are times when you're trying to fit through a narrow space, even at several MPH, so you couldn't safely have them auto-unfold based on your speed either.

#5 ·
I like them! It does look really cool when they fold in and out by themselves too!
My first car was a rubbish Rover and I had both my mirrors kicked (yes kicked, from the pavement side of the car) off and it was such a hassle to have to replace them.
I feel so much more at ease when I can fold them in.
They are definitely worth the money in my opinion!

#6 ·
PaleBlueDot said:
When I park the A1 in my garage, the car will be right up against the left wall. If the mirrors unfolded automatically they'd hit the left wall and get torn off when I reversed.
That would not be a problem. If you fold them manually using the switch, they will not unfold until you turn the switch back.

And if you only use the automatic folding/unfolding, they will obviously be in the unfolded state when you park the car. :)

#7 ·
jfallesen said:
PaleBlueDot said:
When I park the A1 in my garage, the car will be right up against the left wall. If the mirrors unfolded automatically they'd hit the left wall and get torn off when I reversed.
That would not be a problem. If you fold them manually using the switch, they will not unfold until you turn the switch back.

And if you only use the automatic folding/unfolding, they will obviously be in the unfolded state when you park the car. :)
If it worked like that, then that would certainly be cool.

I've only experienced automatic folding mirrors once on another brand of car. They folded in automatically when the engine was stopped, and out again when it started. You could press a button to fold them in or out manually, but it didn't remember this. So when you started the engine they always folded out, even if you manually put them in before stopping.

#8 ·
They do work as I described - I have them and have turned automatic folding on. They fold when you lock the car and unfold when you start it unless the switch is in the folded position. The switch is the same one used to adjust the mirrors - turn it 180° and it folds the mirrors, keeping them folded until you turn it back.

#9 ·
Awesome. Glad I ordered them.

#12 ·
KevTHC said:
jfallesen said:
The switch is the same one used to adjust the mirrors - turn it 180° and it folds the mirrors, keeping them folded until you turn it back.
Curious. On the A3, which we ordered without the folding option, rotating the switch 180 turns on the heating in the mirrors.
Same on the A1. If it has heated mirrors without electric folding, the 180° setting controls the heating. If you have electric folding, it needs to be in the centre position (which has the heating symbol) and it apparently comes on "when needed".

#14 ·
Bluefusion said:
Just ordered a A1 SportsBack, but just wondering if its worth adding on the electric folding solar kits for the £125 book price? I understand they are not automatic and are switch operated, but what's your experience with then? Are they a must have, or waste of money?

Thanks

B
Have you added the folding mirror? It is bit expensive but if it is worth I would love to have it.. Waiting for reply.

#19 ·
Bluefusion said:
Agree with the above post. I find mine a bit fiddly. If I forget to fold them, then sometimes putting the key in isn't enough and have to start the car to get them to fold again - very annoying.
Find someone with a VCD cable & they can code your car to automatically fold your mirrors when u lock the car & the mirrors fold out when u put the key in the ignition! :D

#21 ·
Bluefusion said:
Thanks for the advice. A few question:

1. Any idea where I would find someone in the Essex area? Just post asking, somebody should close by
2. What sort of cost I don't charge but others may charge a small fee
3. Would this invalidate the car warranty? I can't see why it would, u are only folding the mirrors as u would normally after every journey
4. Would the vcd be lost if Audi did a software update when in for a service etc?I had a software update on mine & no vcd changes were affected :D

#22 ·
mah006 said:
Find someone with a VCD cable & they can code your car to automatically fold your mirrors when u lock the car & the mirrors fold out when u put the key in the ignition! :D
How does this work if you don't want them to unfold on I unlock? For example, I told my mirrors before putting car in the garage. I park it with the left side right up against the wall. If they unfolded when I unlock the left mirror would hit the wall on unfold. If I forgot to fold them back in I'd tear it off when I reversed.

#23 ·
PaleBlueDot said:
mah006 said:
How does this work if you don't want them to unfold on I unlock? For example, I told my mirrors before putting car in the garage. I park it with the left side right up against the wall. If they unfolded when I unlock the left mirror would hit the wall on unfold. If I forgot to fold them back in I'd tear it off when I reversed.
I don't think this vcd mod suits your circumstances PaleBlueDot!

#24 ·
What I'd like to see is for them to fold on lock, and unfold at the same time your doors lock as you start moving... 7MPH or whatever it is.

#25 ·
PaleBlueDot said:
What I'd like to see is for them to fold on lock, and unfold at the same time your doors lock as you start moving... 7MPH or whatever it is.
I would need them to unfold straight away as I reverse off my drive on to the main road!

maybe a time delay in the mmi settings that can be controlled by the driver, some would like the mirrors to unfold instantly & some would like a delay of say 15 secs! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.