Electric folding mirrors worth it?

Electric folding mirrors worth it?

Postby Bluefusion » Thu May 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Just ordered a A1 SportsBack, but just wondering if its worth adding on the electric folding mirrors for the £125 book price? I understand they are not automatic and are switch operated, but what's your experience with then? Are they a must have, or waste of money?

Thanks
B
Bluefusion
A1F Regular

Advertisement

Re: Electric folding mirrors worth it?

Postby p3asa » Thu May 02, 2013 11:21 pm

Probably one of those things that once you start to use, you can't really do without.

They can be coded via VAG.com to fold when you lock / unlock the door if that is a concern for you.

I'll certainly spec them on future cars.
p3asa
A1F Resident

Postby TheWrongun » Thu May 02, 2013 11:22 pm

I'm always in London, so it's nice to have especially on not so fair weather days.
A1 Sportback Black Edition 1.4 TFSI 185 PS [ACRQT3PG] | Daytona Grey
5yr Warranty | 5yr Fixed Inspection Service | Silk Nappa Leather | Super Sports Seats | Comfort Pack | BOSE | Mod & Tech Deletion | Folding Mirrors | Armrest | Heated Seats | Luggage Pack | Smokers Pack | Tyre Pressure Idicator
Audi: Alu Pedals | Rubber Mats | Semi-Rigid Boot Tray
Mods: Private Plate | GE90 Footrest | Richbrook Tax Disc Holder | Waze + Nexus 5 + Dock | SanDisk Extreme 32GB SD
TheWrongun
A1F Major Contributor

Postby PaleBlueDot » Fri May 03, 2013 12:41 am

This is how I think about it...

How often do I manually fold my mirrors in on my current car? Never.

If I could fold them in by pressing a button, how often would I do it? Probably always.

Have my mirrors ever been damaged, where it would have been avoided if they had being folded in? Yes - twice. Repair cost more than £125 + time + hassle + feeling crap.

Therefore, for me, they're worth it.

I've thought quite a bit about the automatic part and think it's best that they're not automatic. The A1 is 15cm wider than my current car. When I park the A1 in my garage, the car will be right up against the left wall. If the mirrors unfolded automatically they'd hit the left wall and get torn off when I reversed. Similarly there are times when you're trying to fit through a narrow space, even at several MPH, so you couldn't safely have them auto-unfold based on your speed either.
Last edited by PaleBlueDot on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY13 Audi A1 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S tronic Sport Brilliant Black
Spec: Advanced Key, Auto Dimming Read View Mirror, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Dynamic Suspension, Flat Tyre Indicator, Folding Door Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Heated Seats, LED Interior Light Pack, Light Sensor, Luggage Pack, Parking System Plus, Rain Sensor, Xenon Lights.
Mods: Audi Dust Caps, BlackVue DR500GW-HD Dash Cam, Bonnet Felt, Boot Carpet (GE90), Boot LEDs, Chrome Plate Surround, Glove Box LED, Halfords Plates, NFC, Solar Panel Parcel Shelf, Tracker, Under Seat Storage.

PaleBlueDot
A1F Resident

Postby Jenny19 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 am

I like them! It does look really cool when they fold in and out by themselves too!
My first car was a rubbish Rover and I had both my mirrors kicked (yes kicked, from the pavement side of the car) off and it was such a hassle to have to replace them.
I feel so much more at ease when I can fold them in.
They are definitely worth the money in my opinion!
1.4 Sport TFSI Amplified Red
5 year warranty, 5 year service pack, 17” ‘5-arm’ design bi-colour alloys, black headlining, climate control, heated front seats, LED interior, black roof line, Xenons, cruise control, folding and heated door mirrors, hill hold assist, rain and light sensors, flat tyre warning indicator, delete rear badges, technology pack, front centre armrest.
Arrived end of April and totally in love!
Modifications:
Windows tinted
Planning to paint calipers, add TMC tuning box and get the rear plate recess wrapped in black
Jenny19
A1F Resident

Postby jfallesen » Fri May 03, 2013 10:06 am

PaleBlueDot wrote:When I park the A1 in my garage, the car will be right up against the left wall. If the mirrors unfolded automatically they'd hit the left wall and get torn off when I reversed.

That would not be a problem. If you fold them manually using the switch, they will not unfold until you turn the switch back.

And if you only use the automatic folding/unfolding, they will obviously be in the unfolded state when you park the car. :-)
jfallesen
A1F Major Contributor

Postby PaleBlueDot » Fri May 03, 2013 10:38 am

jfallesen wrote:
PaleBlueDot wrote:When I park the A1 in my garage, the car will be right up against the left wall. If the mirrors unfolded automatically they'd hit the left wall and get torn off when I reversed.

That would not be a problem. If you fold them manually using the switch, they will not unfold until you turn the switch back.

And if you only use the automatic folding/unfolding, they will obviously be in the unfolded state when you park the car. :-)

If it worked like that, then that would certainly be cool.

I've only experienced automatic folding mirrors once on another brand of car. They folded in automatically when the engine was stopped, and out again when it started. You could press a button to fold them in or out manually, but it didn't remember this. So when you started the engine they always folded out, even if you manually put them in before stopping.
Spec: Advanced Key, Auto Dimming Read View Mirror, Climate Control, Cruise Control, Dynamic Suspension, Flat Tyre Indicator, Folding Door Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Heated Seats, LED Interior Light Pack, Light Sensor, Luggage Pack, Parking System Plus, Rain Sensor, Xenon Lights.
Mods: Audi Dust Caps, BlackVue DR500GW-HD Dash Cam, Bonnet Felt, Boot Carpet (GE90), Boot LEDs, Chrome Plate Surround, Glove Box LED, Halfords Plates, NFC, Solar Panel Parcel Shelf, Tracker, Under Seat Storage.

PaleBlueDot
A1F Resident

Postby jfallesen » Fri May 03, 2013 1:39 pm

They do work as I described – I have them and have turned automatic folding on. They fold when you lock the car and unfold when you start it unless the switch is in the folded position. The switch is the same one used to adjust the mirrors – turn it 180° and it folds the mirrors, keeping them folded until you turn it back.
jfallesen
A1F Major Contributor

Postby PaleBlueDot » Fri May 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Awesome. Glad I ordered them.

PaleBlueDot
A1F Resident

Postby KevTHC » Fri May 03, 2013 5:42 pm

jfallesen wrote: The switch is the same one used to adjust the mirrors – turn it 180° and it folds the mirrors, keeping them folded until you turn it back.

Curious. On the A3, which we ordered without the folding option, rotating the switch 180 turns on the heating in the mirrors.
(2013 A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI COD)
KevTHC
A1F Regular

Next

Return to Audi A1 Sportback